Hydraulic front disc with mechanical rear drum

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics

Hydraulic front disc with mechanical rear drum

Post by Guest »

I'm looking at a couple of frames (repop & OEM straight legs) for my 57. If I decide to go OEM, then I would defitely leave the frame in its original config and not attach mounts for a master cylinder or disc assy. Nevertheless, I still want to stop quickly. Is it safe to use a hydraulic front disc (GMA or Jaybrake, 2 or 4 piston) with a mechanical rear drum? Thanks, CR
ccryan67
Inactive member

Post by ccryan67 »

Not a guest, thought I was logged in.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Why would it not be safe? the brakes are not integrated so it doesn't really matter what combination you have, its how you apply them. There are lots of bikes out there with disc front and drum rear.

a properly installed hydraulic front brake will only make the bike safer

mike
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

A disc front brake is real nice on a rigid, if you don't care too much about originality. Braking is superior to a rear disc set up. You can use factory disc legs and the banana caliper, or an aftermarket caliper set up. Make sure you match the master cylinder to the type of brake you are using.

VPH-D
ccryan67
Inactive member

Post by ccryan67 »

Mike, my concern (about an issue that may not exist) is that the stopping ability of the front disc would so significantly over power the stopping ability of the rear mech drum, that the set up could be more likely to throw my fat ass over the handle bars.

VPH-D, good advice on matching the master cylinder to the caliper.

Thank you both. CR
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

I use my front brake 90% of the time only.
and unless you get a dual disk, monster caliper set up, I dont think you will be doing any front wheel only stopies.....LOL

mbskeam
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I put a late Springer disk brake set-up on my 49 chop with an early springer. The only problem was if I grabed the brake too quickly the springer would bottom out(BANG). But after I got used to it it was great, way better than just the back brake.
45brit
Inactive member

Post by 45brit »

I had a front disc with a banana caliper once on a rigid tele-fork panhead, gets my vote
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I run dual 11" discs, each with a 4-piston caliper, on my '61 Glide front end and no problems with "over the handlebars". Also run an 11" rear disc, but it doesn't see much use with that front setup. Mounted the master cylinder in the headlight nacelle, cable-activated for a clean handlebar setup.
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

I have a 73 FX front end with the single disc setup and it is fine. The front is supposed to be setup with the better stopping power anyway as that is where it will work best. Cars and bikes. I was originaly taught to start with the rear brake and when you feel it grabbing start the front brake for the best controlled stopping power. Cars do this with proportioning valves.
ccryan67
Inactive member

Post by ccryan67 »

Thanks for the info. I'll defintely go with a disc up front. CR

Return to “Brakes”