Front drum brake taking off

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
daddywags
Inactive member

Front drum brake taking off

Post by daddywags »

Okay I am taking off the backing plate off the front end of my 61 pan, stock brake, does the axle sleeve just pull out with the plate, or does it turn out. I have banged and banged on it, it does not move, any help would be appreciated. (the reason why is I am changing fork seals and a complete cleaning. thanks
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

did you remove the big nut behind the axel nut? If that is off then it might be rusted together, try some WD. Mike
daddywags
Inactive member

brake drum adjuster cam, how it get it out?

Post by daddywags »

So, it should just slip out? No retainer ring etc? Yes I took off the nut holding it on the outside.
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

I had the same problem on my 64 pan about 30 years ago. Seems like it is almost a press fit. I think the aluminum oxidizes and seizes up. Just be careful and don't mess up the threds.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Re: front drum brake

Post by Kuda »

[quote="daddywags"]Okay I am taking off the backing plate off the front end of my 61 pan, stock brake, does the axle sleeve just pull out with the plate, or does it turn out. I have banged and banged on it, it does not move, any help would be appreciated. (the reason why is I am changing fork seals and a complete cleaning. thanks[/quote

If you have/can buy a spare, try double nutting the sleeve and using a wrench to gently turn the sleeve in the plate. A lot of Kroil or somesuch is advised too. With patience it should turn a bit, then you can carefully wind it out...

-Kuda (and a light coat of anti-seize before you put it back would be good)
'49 panchop
daddywags
Inactive member

front drum brake

Post by daddywags »

Well, thanks for all the help, a lot of liquid wrench, and a BIG HAMMER, got it out, threads jimmied a bit, but got the nut started and thankfully, it thread itself again. Will use anti sieze when installed. Thanks for the advice, nice having pan riders helping pan riders!!

Return to “Brakes”