brake drum adjuster cam, how it get it out?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
daddywags
Inactive member

brake drum adjuster cam, how it get it out?

Post by daddywags »

I cannot adjust my front brake adjuster cam on my 61 pan. It is frozen solid. Any ideas of how to un freeze it? I would think heat applied would warp something. Open for any ideas, thanks
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

penetrating oil, wait, repeat.

low heat from a propane torch may help.

john
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

An interesting tip recently posted to the VirtualIndian List was to use candle wax with heat. Penetrating oils tend to burn off too quickly, whereas the wax will flow in and stay there. Or so it is said.

Beware that it is easy to round off the square lugs on the adjustors, so either get a square socket, or reverse a 3/8" socket extension for a wrench.

...Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

a old time machinist told me about the candle wax trick too.

haven't had an oppurtunity to try it.

john
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: brake drum adjuster cam, how it get it out?

Post by 58flh »

I had the same problem! I just did it 4 days ago. I assume wheel is off, remove all brake-shoes, the product that i used is called ( screwloose ) i got it at autostore! about $3.87 for the smallone 10oz. What I did was soak-it-both sides,wait half hr. repeat the prosess 2times. Then i took a small wire brush & did any threads visible! blew it dry with compressor. Repeat the soaking process 1 more time,& wait 15 20 min or so. Wipe dry surrounding area where not needed! I had the ol lady put a t-shirt in my ice-water cooler. Use a propane torch at medium heat,wrap t-shirt around surronding alum. areas. This will prevent any warping & out of roundness!!! ( keep in mind while heating the adj. you have to keep soaking the rag in icewater! a quick dunk does the job.) While i was heating i also gently rapped on it with a hammer & socket to fit so no damage was created! After 5-10min. i got it loose. After i ran the threads on a wire wheel-side of my grinder,& a tap to clean the thread on the bikedrum. Then i used the good old stuff called (never-seez ). A light coat on the threads & the problem will be not there for future drumbrake changes or alignments of shoes. GoodLuck 58FLH
Moonlighter
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead
2005 RK
2006 SB

Post by Moonlighter »

The candle wax idea works great. What I try to do if at all possible is to heat one side of the part that you are working on then just touch the candle to the threaded area. The goal with this method is to draw the wax into the threads. The perifin wax will lubricate the threads and as it dries it will harden seperating the rust. This has worked for me for years even on the most stuburn of bolts. It doesn't take a lot of heat to melt the wax
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I posted a reply about getting the stubborn adj. out! Well as luck might have it i had to do another customers bike/this time I tried the melted-candel trick---what a difference!!!--I will always use this on rusty stubborn bolts or fittings!. Thanx for the tip COTTON many thanx-58flh

Return to “Brakes”