Upgrade rear wheel to disc brake

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jack
Inactive member

Upgrade rear wheel to disc brake

Post by jack »

Hi i want to upgrade my round swingarm panhead to disc brake and wondered would anyone know if a wheel of a mid 1990 softail would be to wide it has a hub width of 7".Or is there a better model wheel to use.
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Hi Jack, welcome to the fray.

I'm sure that someone will be able to chime in with some useful technical information about what wheel will fit your swingarm frame.

But, I just wanted to say that I have never understood the need to convert the rear drum to a disc brake. I have a 57, the last year for the mechanical rear drum brake, and I can easily lock up the rear wheel. A disc brake would give me no more stopping power than I currently have. Someone else has pointed out that the disc brake will not fade as much as the drum. I guess if you do a lot of mountainous riding that would be a concern, but Michigan is pretty flat so I am content with the rear drum brake.

The front drum brake is another story though. I recently converted my front to a disc brake and love it. Stopping with two fingers on the brake lever is a very comforting feeling. Here is a link showing my setup:

Front Disk Brake Done

Return to “Brakes”