Front Disk Brake Done

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Front Disk Brake Done

Post by 57pan »

Here is the disk brake that I added to the front end of my 57. I know this will make the purists cringe and, quite frankly, I know that it detracts from the vintage look of the bike. But, man!!! is it nice to be able to stop with two fingers on the front brake lever. The caliper and rotor are stock late-model H-D (off eBay), the bracket is off eBay too.
brake1.JPG
I'm using a GMA master cylinder that I also got off eBay.
brake2.JPG
And here is the custom adapter that I had made to mate the rotor to the stock star hub.
brake3.JPG
I've put about 150 miles on it and am very pleased with the way it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Dave

Beautiful job. How does the bracket attach to the fork leg? It looks like it uses one of the fender bolts. Also a picture from the other side would be appreciated as well as the details on the adaptor. I am sersiouly considering the conversion as my winter project.

King
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

King, I don't have any pics from the other side but, yes the link from the bracket attaches to one of the fender mounting bolts and since it has a heim rod end on each end of the link the alignment is not critical. The bracket "floats" on the axle spacer.

The axle spacer is necessary to replace the original drum brake backing plate that was removed. The spacer is the white object in this photo (this is just a piece of PVC that I used to mock it up) - it is .675 long.
brake4.JPG
Here is a picture of the bracket and link that I got off eBay from a guy whose eBay ID is chopperlong. I did have to have the one hole bored out so it would fit the axle spacer that I mentioned earlier.
brake5.JPG
Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1950Bobber

Front Star Hub Disc Brake

Post by 1950Bobber »

Any chance, we the Panhead riding public, can get that Star Hub spacer? would love to mount a disc on my front hub!!! Thanks...

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

That's a beautiful thing , 57pan.
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Eight years ago, I T-boned a Mercedes on its rear axle when a Blue hair made a left turn in front of me. I was not speeding and had probably slowed down to under 20 mph. I flew over the car and broke my pelvis. They totaled out the bike which I ended up rebuilding. Since the stock front end was toast, I bought a dual disc fork assembly that fit a '97 model (I think). Anyway, I always wondered if the bike had been equipped with disc brakes if I could have slowed down quick enough to avoid the accident. So you'll get no criticism from me for making your scooter safer.
Doug
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

Just up on eBay is a complete Hydraglide disk brake conversion unit. Item #300140694124 It came off a 60 Pan, and looks like it's fairly well made.

Kent
Captain Harley

Front Disk Brake Done

Post by Captain Harley »

8) That is one slick setup. I'm running pretty much a stock '75 S-glide
"pie wedge" type singal disc setup on my '65 Pan. In the 'old' days I ran many a mile on those long lonesome highways with drum brakes. I lived through it and nostalga is geat for looks but give me a disc anyday........
AMF :wink: Ride Safe
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Front Disk Brake Done

Post by 58flh »

57 PAN:----Very nice job!. I to am going to a disc. set-up---I have been running my drums for 25+yrs. now. I had a close-call awhile back, & luckily I was alone! I can throw my Pan around like a dirtbike!. But I always ride with the OL-Lady, good thing she wasent there that TIME!!. Besides my grandkid always wants a ride with pops! So Im going for a 10" set-up sportster,& I have access to machines!-So I will retain my starhub,& hide it under the drum. If I cant hide-it I really dont care! I will save all the ol-parts!-thats a given!. But just being able to STOP way better is a blessing! The day I had that close-call, I know if I had a DISC. set-up upfront ,I would not have to 180% the Pan & raise my bloodpressure :lol: . Good-Luck----58flh
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Very nice.
However: the heim joints control something that shouldn't exist at all - the caliper's floating lateral location, which is why front disc applications are almost always rigidly mounted to the fork leg.
The complex geometry problems of mounting a disc (or non-original drum) to a springer are still there with a glide - the manufacturers have simply decided to ignore them. Transmitting the torque to the fork leg just hinders the fork's action (bends the leg, and compresses the spring), but the cure is worse than the disease, which is running the torque arm back up to the frame.

Kawasaki (and others) discovered that hanging a heavy component in front of the fork allows the link or bracket to work in tension, which is self-centering and positive, but also slows steering response and increases fork effort. The cure: put the caliper behind the fork leg. Why does this help? Because its mass acts based on its distance from the fork stem (which is the center of fork rotation). In front it's ahead by 1/2 the fork leg diameter + the stem offset. Behind, it's pretty close to directly in-line with the fork stem.
slowsled
Bikes: 55 FLH

Post by slowsled »

Great idea! How many miles on this design now? Still like it?
Would you have done anything different? Fandamntastic! I have
been trying to design a disk brake for some time, wasted lots of
money so far. This looks like a great idea.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I would think sliders and tubes off of a later FLH with a disk would work nicely! Probably need the wheel and axle too...What the hell just get the whole bike, wait, I already did...
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thank you for that explanation, Kitabel.

Return to “Brakes”