Mechanical brake drum question

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Mechanical brake drum question

Post by doc308 »

Is it possible to turn down a mechanical rear brake drum? I've brought the drum o various machine shops and they all nix the idea for one reason or the other. The old manuals, however, mention turning he drums when worn.

Also, if it is possible, does anyone know where I might send one to the work down?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Mechanical brake drum question

Post by RUBONE »

Stamped mechanical drums are essentially NOT turnable despite what the old manuals may say. They are too thin as originally made and are often out of round. Turning them only makes them a poorer brake, not a better one. Buy a Paughco replacement and forget the old one if it is in poor shape.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Mechanical brake drum question

Post by 58flh »

I have tried to turn quite a few drums down/--The problem is the Taper from wear-So you olny can go so far before the drum will acually seperate!-(I seen it happen !)-However I have turned down quite a few that were fine & re-useable.BUT!-Most were Paughcos!/olny maybe 20-OEM drums over the yrs. did ok by cutting on lathe!.So its obvious that getting a NEW one -(you will be better off).I have to say --purchase a Paughco!--There drums are of good quality!-Its what I & alot of guys use!/Keep V-Twin drums in the catalogs!--Thats another story for another time.However I always had great outcomes on FRONT DRUMS!--I replaced far more rear then Fronts.--Just my real opinion on cutting HD Drums!---To find a OEM would be real nice /Good-Luck.----Respectfully---Richie

Return to “Brakes”