Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
nan00k
Bikes: '65 FL Sold and regretted in the same day
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

'65 Pan Front Drum

Post by nan00k »

just got back into Pans and have acquired '65 pan with stock front star hub but no brake that needs to be sourced. I have a chance of a few drums but don't know what fits what year wise, can anyone advise what years I should be looking at?

Have a chance of a '48 or a '66 -'67 ( as advertised), these years seem a little tight as I thought parts covered several years of production.

Any crash course in year on year changes would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: '65 Pan Front Drum

Post by RUBONE »

Any '49-'66 drum fits. '48 is spring fork and different. '67-'71 is for a different hub and does not work on a stock '65 hub ( no such thing as a '66-'67 drum, they changed in between those two years). There are several variations of the casting and all carry -48 casting numbers in them. Those are NOT part numbers though, so don't look for them in a book. The drum you need to be correct for the year has two lugs on the back, early types do not have them.
speedking1949
Bikes: 49 FL

Post by speedking1949 »

Anyone know what those lugs are for on the later front drum? Just curious.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

speedking1949 wrote:Anyone know what those lugs are for on the later front drum? Just curious.
I believe they are balance lugs.
Adam
nan00k
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

Post by nan00k »

Thanks for that Rubone, having a bit of a mare trying to post photo below but yes it shows two rectangular bosses on rear of drum on opposite sides so it looks like the one. Blokes got it advertised as '67 - '71 drum but he's 'hands up' straight that he is not an expert.

Thing that threw me was the early '48 drum has the boss on the rear of the drum cast to reflect the star shape of the hub, where the later hub has a 'full circle' cast boss.

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The chrome drum you picture is NOT the correct one. Note the internal sleeve visible in the center. That is a '67-'72 type drum made to carry a bearing within it and does not fit the '66 and earlier star hubs. The general appearance is the same as the one you need but the center is different, no sleeve and larger diameter hole.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

nan, I may have a drum that's correct for your bike. I'll have to look, but I don't have time today.
I'll try to remember tomorrow, but you might want to poke me as a reminder. Send me a PM here, I check in every day.
nan00k
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

Post by nan00k »

OK, thanks for saving me from an expensive mistake gents.

bigincher: I'll give you a 'ping' in a day or so , in the meantime I'm waiting for the cover plate (fleabay) to arrive and trust that it's the correct fitting that I don't neeed too many missing parts.

just for completeness and to help anyone else out who may do a search on the site to identify correct drum for application, the one below is the one advertised for '49 -'66 fitment, is that correct or is it for a springer front end?

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The above pictured drum will indeed fit any '49-'66 wheel and backing plate. Two quick identifiers for Hydra-Glide brakes are the dual ribs around the outside edge, and the 8 inch inner diameter. Springer drums do not have the ribs and are 7 Inch inside. Also the -48 casting number is a dead giveaway as that refers to the date the parts started to be produced.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

speedking1949 wrote:Anyone know what those lugs are for on the later front drum? Just curious.
I've wondered the same thing.

Are they for balance as Adam suggests, or do they function as dogs or locaters for the machining process that the raw casting goes through, or are they for an entirely different purpose?

Geo.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

I don't believe they have anything to do with balance. If so they would be machined or drilled for variance and they are not, they are just as cast.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Thanks Robbie, I always referred to them as that, but your right it probably has nothing at all to do with that, how could it . I believe they first appeared in 56? Bruce has the timeline in his book.
Adam
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I sometimes thought that they are there to relieve or deter some kind of harmonic vibration.
You have to go back and think what was wrong with the plain drum that preceded the one with the nubbins?
The MoCo wouldn't make a change unless it was an improvement for a specific reason, I believe. Or to save money.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

non00k, I dug around in my junk and I do have several spare front brake assemblies- drums, backing plates, shoes, etc.
Unfortunately, the ones I would let go are the later -67 assemblies, as shown in this photo posted above:

I also found a correct drum, but it has a chip in the edge. It's a door stop, sorry.
There is a difference in the backing plates, the early ones have a drain hole, the later ones do not. I think that's right- if not, Robbie will correct me.
I have an NOS backing plate without the drain hole, which I think is correct for '65, but I'm not sure I want to let it go just yet. I am saving it as trading stock for an earlier one with the drain hole.

I'll have to do some more looking at what all I have, maybe you can twist my arm. PM me if you want to talk about some more.
nan00k
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

Post by nan00k »

bigincher; thanks for looking at what was under your bench.

I'll ping you with what I've got, what I think I need and what I was thinking i'd have to pay. I recognise that two of these are finite variables and the other one infinite ; /\ )

thanks to all for the education.

Return to “Brakes”