Difficult to start and idle goes up and down

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Jamo, KB

Difficult to start and idle goes up and down

Post by Jamo, KB »

Hi all,

Im new to this site, but what a great collection of knowledge I have found! I recently sold my 45'' and got me a '48 Panhead. The engine is restored with quality parts (S&S pistons, push rods, oil pump etc.). Dont know which cam, but a little hotter than original. Super E, automatic distributor.
My problem is that its so hard to start my right leg is going numb after a while. I have read all about the starting procedures in here, and based on my 45'' experience I'm also aware that it takes a while to get to know the procedure for your particular bike.
But this is getting out of hand, I have tried all kind of procedures and at times (when cold) it will start after 4-5 squirts, two dead kick and full choke (so it can be done...). But most of the times it just stands there, laughing at me, expressing "is that all you've got".
When finally fired up, it goes up and down in idle (not just a little, really a lot). The funny thing is that when Im running it, it goes like a sewing machine with no problems at all (no dead spots, no skipping a beat etc.).
But still when its warm, the idle is impossible to adjust, which makes it really a riddle to me.
The bike was rebuilt by a guy who really knows what he's doing and he has built several HDs. The bike was bought by another guy who only had it driven once or twice last couple of years. I know both of them.
I have checked spark plugs and ignition, all looks OK to me.

tnx in advance.

Post by Guest »

When finally fired up, it goes up and down in idle (not just a little, really a lot).
I,m no expert but from your description of the problem you may have the dreaded manifold leak. After a long ride what do your plugs look like? Are you using the enricher-lever on your S&S? Has the bike always been tough to start or did it start being difficult?

Lots of good guys here and I'm sure they'll be able to help ya out.-Steve[/i]
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Jamo!

Please pressuretest your manifold: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Good luck!

...Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

jamo
Definitly check for a manifold leak and I once had a advancing mech. in the dist. that was sticking and it did the same thing , just something else to check if the manifold checks out . Since your super E does not have a choke ( it has an enricher ), give it little to no thottle when starting to keep butter fly closed as much as possible. good luck.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”