Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Dave Beck
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 panhead
2011 streetglide

New Owner with a few questions

Post by Dave Beck »

Hello everyone,
First I am so glad I found this forum, there are loads of answers and good information, so thanks everyone for the information already posted. I just bought my first Pan and I think I am really going to enjoy the restore on this one. It is a 1962 FLH that is in running condition, but needs lots of cosmetic and detail work done. It has a saviour rear frame instead of the swing arm which gives it a nostalgic look by itself. I am 62 and just retired, I was concerned about kick starting the ole gal, but I have the sequence down now and she starts fairly easy. Here are my questions, hope someone can help.

1. It needs a new dash and speedo and was wondering if the 62 had the cats eye dash or not. I know it takes the tomstone speedo but is it a 2.1 drive or 1.1?
2. I would like to run true dual exhaust and have found them available on e-bay, was wondering if anyone has run them and their feedback on them.
3. I have all new tins for the bike, they came with it. I am going to do a color change and I love the old turquoise and cream two tone paint scheme, I know that is not correct for the year, but it is what I want. Does anyone happen to have the paint code for those colors?
4. I am vertically challenged and would like to find someway to lower the seat and perhaps a little farther back, looks like I will have to do away with the pogo to accomplish this, any suggestions?

I have a book coming on my bike, so hopefully it will be of some help. The engine was rebuilt about 10 years ago, she has a lot of leaks and I am going to tear her down and replace all the gaskets etc. I am visiting the kids and will not get to take her home till after christmas, but anxious to get started this winter.
By the way Merry Christmas to everyone, and thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Dave Beck
"Ole Okie"
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: New Owner with a few questions

Post by 1950Panhead »

Dave,
1. It needs a new dash and speedo and was wondering if the 62 had the cats eye dash or not. I know it takes the tomstone
speedo but is it a 2.1 drive or 1.1?
46 was the last year for cateye dash, you have a panhead dash.
62 to 65 speedos run at 1000 rpm /mile.
2. I would like to run true dual exhaust and have found them available on e-bay, was wondering if anyone has run them and
their feedback on them.
Two mufflers was an option on later panheads, very common.
3. I have all new tins for the bike, they came with it. I am going to do a color change and I love the old turquoise and
cream two tone paint scheme, I know that is not correct for the year, but it is what I want. Does anyone happen to have the
paint code for those colors?
Your paint store has a PPG book that goes through the rainbow, take photos with you.
4. I am vertically challenged and would like to find someway to lower the seat and perhaps a little farther back, looks
like I will have to do away with the pogo to accomplish this, any suggestions?
The pogo seat makes a panhead comfortable, removing one of the top springs will drop the seat but also reduce travel, seats on the frame are a pain in the ass.
Jerry
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

The 62 dash has round oil/gen indicators as opposed to the rectangular oil/gen indicators on the 47-61 dash. That dash was introduced in 62 and used until 67.

1961 was the last year for true duals. The MoCo found there to be to much restriction with the tight bend of the rear pipe so they put in a crossover from the standard rear pipe to alleviate that.
Dave Beck
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 panhead
2011 streetglide

Post by Dave Beck »

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate the help.
Dave
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

I'm 5'6" and ride a 1952 FL I ran a seat on the rigid frame for years & when I finally restored my bike a few years ago I put the pogo on & found it too high, but by adjusting the spring length & preload I have it adjusted to where it is soft enough to collapse under my weight and allow me to reach the ground when riding and it only bottoms out if I hit a big bump. You can try different solo seats as some are narrower than others allowing you to reach the ground better too. Lastly you can alter the contour and padding. The pogo is much nicer than a seat on the frame or a solo with small springs on the rear.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

1950Panhead wrote:Dave,
62 to 65 speedos run at 1000 rpm /mile.
I think you mean 1000RPM/60mph or 1000revs/mile.

Andy
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

No way yer gonna spin 1000 RPM @ 60 MPH, even in 4th gear....bosheff
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Dave,
I may have a repop speedo that fits your bike. When I bought my bike, I was cruising the neighborhood streets at an indicated 70 mph. Didn't take long for this Aggie to figure out that the speedo was wrong.

Get some manuals. The HD service manual is handy as is the parts manual. Palmers Panhead restoration manual is also a great reference. If you do go with a frame mounted seat I have a Mustang 2 up seat that was pretty comfortable. It sits low like a softail. Now that I have an '08 Electraglide that the wife and I can ride on, I do not know that I will be using the Mustang seat. I currently am riding on the Buddy seat just because it is roomier.

Freedom Cycles in OKC is a good source for parts that you need on short notice and a few of those guys know the old bikes. They stock quite a few parts for the old bikes. Just don't expect to get any discounted prices.

Doug

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”