All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Is It Just Me?

Post by CaptMike »

Does Anything Fit?

For the past couple of weeks I'm at the point to where there's not a part that I've bought that fits without having to cut, grind, modify or change something else. Yesterday I started working on the dash and between having to elongate hole and re-bend the mount... Already knowing the 6 prong switch was going to hit the dash.(decided not to modify the cover, ordered another 5 prong) I spent about 5 to 6 hours shaping the new (CCMP) rear fender, at this point it looks "aged" already. So far one of the few parts I've bought that bolted right on was the transmission shaft. The new primary showed today and installed it and the Primo 1.5" belt drive. The belt is hitting the inner primary, the oil tank primary bracket needs to be modified to get the inner primary back 1/8". Checking the clutch, the holes in the new clutch disc as tight as crap on the clutch hub and the instructions say to file them out if they are too tight.

I guess part of it is with the bikes being 50 years old, abused and worn-out several times, Chopped and Un-Chopped. Parts just don't bolt together without having to dick with something (or everything).

Hey, I did buy a new Linkert Float that bolted right in too!

Thank you, now I'll get off my Soap Box and go soak my clutch discs.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Is It Just Me?

Post by 1950Panhead »

Mike,
Been buying parts from JP and Vtwin recently?
Just kidding, been down this road before ...
When I see an antique bike on the road I say that is one sharp cookie or he has a lot of money.
Modern bike owners have no clue what it takes to keep one of these on the road.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Original parts fit, aftermarket are a crap shoot. Lots of original stuff still out there. You just can't pick up the phone or wiggle the mouse to get them right now! It takes patience and dedication.
Robbie
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

90% of my bike bolted right together without modifying anything.But I did buy 4 sets of pan covers before I got a set to fit.The first couple the holes didnt even line up and the third set wouldnt even bolt down without hitting the rockers first.The fourth set I bought from CCI and they fit perfectly.I think the only thing on my bike thats is from v-twin is the oil tank and that fit perfect. :)
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

I just came in from re-aligning my clutch hub fingers with a 2 pound soft face hammer. :D It took some thinking to figure out which ones to "adjust". I ended up just cleaning out the clutch disc holes with a file and it all will slide easy now.

I have to admit, I've bought a lot of stuff from J&P (I call them CCMP). I did go to the H-D stealer a week ago. I figured I could get a kick pedal bushing and tension spring and possibly some Spark Plugs. Know what I left with? Righ! Spark Plugs that Cost $15.00. I knew they used the same kick pedal bushing up until 1974 (from memory) but everything he looked up bushing, lock washer and even the bolt was OBSOLETE. Shop wise here there's about a dozen "Custom" shops but after my first trip looking for someone who could build a crank I haven't wasted my time going back looking for oil line nuts or kick pedal bushings.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I haven't set foot in a dealership in over ten year ans very little before that. The MOCO has little to do with motorcycles and lots to do with making money. Figure that part out yourself!
Original parts are out there. Older dealerships, private collectors, nut cases trapped in the past( that one hits a little too close to home!), and a few professional sellers. If the price is too high and your time to make crap fit isn't worth much, by all means buy the crap.
JMHO
Robbie
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

RUBONE wrote:I haven't set foot in a dealership in over ten year ans very little before that. The MOCO has little to do with motorcycles and lots to do with making money. Figure that part out yourself!
Original parts are out there. Older dealerships, private collectors, nut cases trapped in the past( that one hits a little too close to home!), and a few professional sellers. If the price is too high and your time to make crap fit isn't worth much, by all means buy the crap.
JMHO
Robbie

You are correct Robbie. I guess we just can go back to the '60's and '70's when things were different. (Riders and Shops.) The first H-D clothing shop I ever saw was in Daytona. It was a sign of what was coming. Now how many dealers have you been in where 85% of the floor wasn't clothes? Know what that says? Tells you where they make their money. The crap that I buy from J&P I try to buy the better of what they have. In the "Super Nuts" for the transmission main shaft I think they have three different ones. James Gasket, CCI and I'd suspect the third one is from their Cheap Chinese Parts. The James Gasket was American made and it fit like a Champ (but cost $20.00 more).

The amount of time I've spent on flebay looking for parts is unbelievable in the past 3 months. It's just tough finding some stuff. FYI, It wasn't me that paid $3400.00 for that Knuck muffler!
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Speaking of that muffler, after that thing sold for that money, they have been coming out of the grave faster than the MC made them. There’s got to be ten up on Fleese-Bay right now. Mike, if ya take the time to network, you will find what you seek, this coming from the number one parts ferret himself. Over the years, I have amassed over fifteen hundred business cards from collectors to dealers. When I’m really hard up for a part, I just sit down at that desk on that phone and I don’t let up until I score. Bob L
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

1950Panhead wrote:Mike,
Been buying parts from JP and Vtwin recently?
Just kidding, been down this road before ...
When I see an antique bike on the road I say that is one sharp cookie or he has a lot of money.
Modern bike owners have no clue what it takes to keep one of these on the road.
Jerry
I'm utterly over those people....was hoping they'd work out, because I can't order from Vtwin directly, and my buddy's shop is 30 miles away. Ironeagle is sometimes good....depending
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

Parts wise the amount of American made stuff you could haul off in a pick-up truck (1 of each part) but the Cheap Stuff you couldn't haul off with a train (cause it's container loads and ship loads). This is part of the Reason that We're in the Shape We're In Right Now (Economy wise). If you're going to buy "After-Market" parts most likely it's foreign made. I buy it but I hate it (I'm not a Walmart fan either). I think a "Parts; What Works" section would help "newbies" here.

As I said earlier some of it is not the parts fault, these bikes are Old and they've been abused and Hodge-podged together with everything possible (and worn-out several times) and now we're trying to de-abuse them. In some of the Gallery Pictures one of the ones I've studied is "Eric S"'s "59 Pan (sorts)". Know? In my case I have a 1948 Frame, 1957 engine (sorta), 1974 tanks, 2000 front-end. So what the hell is it? Oh, I forgot the $3000.00 short block too. Averaging the numbers I should have an 1980 something.

Off to work so I can find my next rant.

As my Sailing pal says...

“The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude.”
― Bob Bitchin

I'm going to work on this little challenge not being an Ordeal.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

The only thing a new HD dealership is good for is oil!!!!!---& thats when its onsale!---As for the rest of it, My Ol-Lady came-up with a good name!--VISA-GOLDCARD bikers! & thats the truth!(GOOD-LUCK to all)---58flh :x
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

And you can get some $27.95 T-Shirts. (OUCH... Dealer Cost About $7.00.)
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

“The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude.”
― Bob Bitchin
I love that quote. Some folks get too worked up over a little setback.
Doug
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I attended the last one for the year "Bike Night" at a local Kansas City Harley dealership.....as i walked around and looked at all the Harleys.....i seen that it was a motorcycle fashion show.....no one was setting on their bikes talking and not many of these guys even change their motor oil and other fluids......Its all ONE BIG Fashion show......it's Not About MotorCycles No More !....Oh get this.....they have a burn out contest at 8pm...LOL after you have soaked up enuf beer to put your $20,000 Harley up against a wall and haul ass in all 5 gears while you set still......what a waste of gas-rubber-and clutches - BELTS ect.........and LOL and LOL the ones thats voted the winner LOL........the dealer gives him and new rear tire and mounts it free LOL.
I seen 2 guys.........Burn rubber in all gears and BOTH BLEW REAR TIRES !......one of the 2 got a new tire LOL.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Note: An old 4 speed main shaft works perfectly for straightening clutch hub fingers. Bob L

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”