All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Preparing to Start My FL from 37 Years of Inactivity

Post by tcb-1 »

Guys, I said I'd be asking a lot of questions from the start, so here we go. Please don't kill me, but I want to do this right and you guys know way more than I will!

My '50 FL hasn't been started since 1973. After inspection, I have noted:
-the spark advance operates great and turns the distributor accordingly
-the throttle from the handlebar to the carb works well and opens the butterfly properly
-the choke operates great
-the HD plugs will be replaced
-the old HD plug wires to the coil is a bit suspect, but they are original and I would love to keep them!
-the coil "looks" good (for what that matters)
-all the original cloth covered wiring is intact. I will ohm everything before I put a new battery in
-the tanks are amazingly clean, but varnished
-the fuel shutoff is NOT moving. I suspect the varnish has locked it in the "off" position
-the oil tank has about an 1/8" of sludge on the bottom
-the oil filter will be replaced
-it appears as if the points are either new or very clean
-the clutch engages and is amazingly limber

So here comes the questions.
-I really think the fuel tanks are not going to be an issue. However, would I use kerosene to clean the varnish (or at least the biggest part of it) out?
-I know the oil tank will need cleaned. Again, should I use kerosene? Any better mousetraps out there?
-I am buying a carb rebuild kit soon, but I am a bit unclear as to the model Linkert I have. A previous post talked about HD changing Linkert models mid 1950. Is there a part number on it somewhere. I haven't started the teardown, but I'd like to have the right rebuild kit on hand when I do. I have rebuilt Keihins, Lucas, and Mikunis in the past. Is there anything special with a Linkert I should be aware of?
-Should I flush the old oil out of the engine?
-Any recommendation on oil viscosity?

Thanks again, gang. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: Preparing to Start My FL from 37 Years of Inactivity

Post by jdpan »

yes
yes
no
replace the plug wires but hang on to the originals.
there will be a shelf on the front, top of the carb indicating model, ie: M74 B.
install a rebuild kit according to instructions and make sure to replace the throttle butterfly bushings and shaft if necessary.
i'd drain the crankcase and start with new 60wt oil.

Freshen up the point surfaces (timer and relay) with some fine emery and clean with brake cleaner. Should be good to go.
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

jd,

Thanks a heap!

One quick question, should I flush the crankcase before filling with fresh 60 weight?
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Doesnt matter, oil wont get to the crank untill the motor rotates. I would though. Not sure I'd "flush" the crankcase rather just let the old oil drain out... With the engin installed and together, it's gonna be difficult to get a good flush. About your fuel shut off, it needs to be turned counter-clockwise several turns before it will open, pull it out for reserve.
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Roger that, jd.

Just bought Palmer's book on Google books. I have a lot of reading to do.....
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

I think tanks/shutoff valve might be your biggest problem. Fill them with something let them soak and slowly start trying to operate the shutoff valve. Get the tanks as clean as possible, nothing can mess up a carb more than the trash in old tanks. And it won't show up right away either..You'll get the bike running good...go for a ride and get stuck or barely make it back. You might even consider heating them in some way (heat lamps??) for a few hours to help loosen the build up. You will probably have issues with the Shutoff valve, search the database here for how to deal with shutoff valve problems. A rebuild kit in 61 year old carb thats been sitting 37 yrs. Really?? Do yourself a favor, send the carb to Liberty, let Cotten work his magic on it. You will wind up saving countless hours of headache that way. IMHO

Normally I would say goodluck...but you used up all the goodluck any one man deserves when you scored that bike. Nice find.

Aloha...Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

tcb-1 wrote:
-I am buying a carb rebuild kit soon, but I am a bit unclear as to the model Linkert I have. A previous post talked about HD changing Linkert models mid 1950. Is there a part number on it somewhere. I haven't started the teardown, but I'd like to have the right rebuild kit on hand when I do. I have rebuilt Keihins, Lucas, and Mikunis in the past. Is there anything special with a Linkert I should be aware of?
tcb-1!

Your Linkert's model number is stamped on top;
According to Palmer, depending upon whether earlier or later in production, your '50 may have an M-36, M-45, M-61, or even an M74 (no "B").

Your model does not matter with rebuild kits, as they all include extra parts you will not use. Beware of kits with soft-tipped floatvalves and inferior floats, marketed by V-TWIN and their aligned suppliers, such as J&P.

Since every carb is different, you should only purchase those parts you need.
There are many fine retailers of loose hardware, but OldDude@Mindspring.com is the first to come to mind (even though he no longer carries my floats, in favor of mass-produced offerings of an obsolete material.)

One difference between servicing a Linkert and a modern throw-away carb is that it can be repaired. The other difference is that you are dealing with History.

This means preserving History not only preserves your investment, but you must also deal with a long history of age, wear and possibly abuse.

If your carb body retains any of the original black lacquer finish, preserving it through the cleaning process will make it the envy of purists. Every original piece of hardware that can be saved should be, as replacements are often flawed.

The venturies nearly always shrink over time, and become loose in the bore. This is often repairable without replacement.

But for primary, basic inspection, the critical wear point is where the throttledisc digs an eyebrow groove into the bore. When it approaches the idle bleeds at the side, it greatly confounds tuning. But this, too, is ultimately repairable:
WEARFIX.jpg
WEARFIX.jpg (119.84 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
....Cotten
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Just wanted to update you all.

After thoroughly cleaning the Linkert, verifying spark, checking the points gap, playing with the spark advance, kicking it over 'til I was blue in the face...... my pan has finally awaken after 37 years! I had to burn the Marvels out of the cylinders (really didn't need put it in there) oil fouling the plugs maybe 10 times. I also read a post that Cotten had detailed an inline fuel shutoff and installed it. So with the reseated float needle, a "properly" set float height, and the inline shutoff, I'm not leaking a drop of fuel now.

I still need to take the tanks off and clean them out better this winter, but at least I can listen to the sweet music of a pan now!

Thanks for such a great forum. I really REALLY helped me with my first HD.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”