Panhead getting hot?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

Panhead getting hot?

Post by Garyson1311 »

Hey so I started her up tonight to try and tune the carb so I had it at a low to mid idle for about 6 to 8 minutes and I shut her off and touched the rocker covers, pushrods, and cylinder heads real quick with my hand and they just seemed really warm for how long the bike was running.. I've heard panheads run hot but does this sound pretty normal? The werent unbearable but they just seemed pretty damn warm. I am trying to check the oil flow but popping the cover off the bag and kicking it a few times with no plug wires but i'm having a hard time actually seeing oil return (I can definitely hear what seems to be either suction or some type of noises coming from it but still...)

Also, while shes running I hear a bit of noise from the motor itself.. It doesnt seem to be knocking but just a constant hum that gets a little louder when I rev (It's tough to hear over the pipes but its still there). I had read somewhere that this could be common with new valves, seats, etc? Any truth to that? This is my first Harley and definitely my first piece of old iron so im sorry if im asking dumb questions but I just dont wanna screw this baby up after the work i've put into it. As always, thanks guys.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Re: Panhead getting hot?

Post by hplhd »

after 8 minutes of idling it should be very hot to the touch. the noise you here could be allota things but your probly hearing that nice gear whine from the gennie....... next.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

Its an air cooled engine, so it requiers moveing air to cool.... so as for oil circulation fire it up and look into the oil tank youll see it or not . Dont be bashfull nothing will jump out and bite you . Did you say it was a fresh engine ? If so give it 7 to 10 heat cycles befor going down the road " cold to hot" this will establish wear patterns . Its even a good idea to run a tblsp. of your favorite oil in the gas to help lube the break in process... If your not hearing a heavy knock that goes with RPMs your allright they make noise.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Anything over about 160° is "too hot to touch", but wayyyyy below the normal temperature. The head will reach 350° under load.
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

Post by Garyson1311 »

Hey guys thanks for the input. Yeah the top end is all fresh and the heads have been resurfaced. I dont think I heard any knocking, so the gennie whine might be it. I will start her up today and open up the bag to check the oil flow. Thanks a million guys.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Tight new pans will run HOT for a while, but they'll start to run a bit cooler once they break in and loosen up. Doesn't sound like yours is any kind of problem. Once she's running, pull the dipstick and shine a flashlight into the side, you should see oil spitting, drooling, or flowing into the tank, depending on which pump you're running, how high the idle is, and how hot the oil is...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”