Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Real howler in the Clymer Panhead manual

Post by Mark44 »

Even though many in this forum advise against putting much faith in the Clymer manual, I bought one anyway, as some others have said that the pictures are at least somewhat helpful. I have a downloaded electronic copy of the HD Service Manual, so at least I have something to compare the Clymer manual agains.

In the Clymer manual, in chapter 4 (Engine), page 123, it says this (part of the quote is omitted and the emphasis is mine):
"When trying to ID a Panhead engine, the best place to start is by checking the engine serial number... However, keep in mind that the serial number will only positively ID the year and model of the right-hand engine case half."

On the same page, under Service Precautions, it says this:
"2. In the text there is frequent mention of the left-hand and right-hand side of the engine. This refers to the engine as it is mounted in the frame, not as it sits on your workbench."

And here, most of you have been laboring under the misconception that the engine VIN is on the left case half!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Real howler in the Clymer Panhead manual

Post by RUBONE »

Ah Yes, once again Clymer's is the bottom of the heap when it comes to good info! :roll:
Robbie
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Real howler in the Clymer Panhead manual

Post by fourthgear »

If you look hard enough , you will probably find misprints in all service manuals.
Even the bible of restoration ,probably has a few.

Of course , Clymers doesn't cost an arm & a leg , so it may have more glaring examples.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”