part numbers question

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

part numbers question

Post by DuoGlide62 »

OK, so there's an NOS rear fender on E-bay. Says 49 only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/original ... ccessories

Looks great, has the ribbed section in the chain indent and has a sticker with the part number on it.
It has a 39 suffix. Can that be right ? How did the factory handle part numbers ? Wouldn't the 39 fender have the raised rib
on the side ? What about the holes for the '49 stripes ?
Anybody ? .... Bueler ?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: part numbers question

Post by FlatHeadSix »

DuoGlide62 wrote:OK, so there's an NOS rear fender on E-bay. Says 49 only.
has a sticker with the part number on it. It has a 39 suffix.
The MoCo was famous for keeping the same part number and doing running modifications on the part. They did that to confuse us. To add even more confusion, 60 years later, we have idiots guessing about vintage parts and giving us all their best guess in the auction descriptions.

Anyway, it could be a '49 fender. The '49 FRONT fenders were the totally "one-year-only" jobs, first year for the Raymond Loewy designed "Air Flow" fender for the juice forks, and the ONLY year they spot welded the brackets on, no rivets! They all instantly broke, so the MoCo started rivetting the brackets on, different fender, same part number.

mike
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Looked at my parts book and it shows the part number for complete fenders stayed the same 39-57 (which is shown in one of the pics); construction of them not so. Be interesting to see what it fetches...
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Looked at my parts book and it shows the part number for complete fenders stayed the same 39-57 (which is shown in one of the pics); construction of them not so. Be interesting to see what it fetches...

Is it a 49 though. Pic is from the Chris Haynes collection of factory pics. My 49 fender also has the ribs, but I am wondering if it should be smooth like in the pic. Think this is also used on 50 models. Thought that starting in 1951 they began modifying the cut out for the rear chain. Someone here will have a better answer than i of that I am sure!

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

This stuff is got to be coming out of Nicks chicken coops. Bob
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

700 clams for a fking fender and the reserve isnt even met yet?? :shock: Wish I still had my stock '57 bagger!!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”