Where being watched!

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Where being watched!

Post by Robert Luland »

I tripped on something really cool here yesterday. If you have a web site, I.T.s always talk about search engine crawlers the span out on the web looking for info. I mean I've posted stuff here and other places and the next day did a Google on my name and the post would come up. Well yesterday I was looking at the bottom of the page were members that are on line is and right along with the names was Bing>bot. I wonder how many times a day this thing comes crawling through the posts here? Bob L
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Where being watched!

Post by Bigincher »

Constantly. Those crawler and search bots are everywhere!
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

yup, and it doesn't stop there.....
Big Brother is watching.
Not only on the street, but everywhere...
You log onto the web and the know where you are, and who owns the computer that you are using.
They can track everything that you post, and everywhere you go on the web.
Got a cell phone?? If it is on, they know where you are.
Dale
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

Robert Luland wrote:I tripped on something really cool here yesterday. If you have a web site, I.T.s always talk about search engine crawlers the span out on the web looking for info. I mean I’ve posted stuff here and other places and the next day did a Google on my name and the post would come up. Well yesterday I was looking at the bottom of the page were members that are on line is and right along with the names was Bing>bot. I wonder how many times a day this thing comes crawling through the posts here? Bob L
The "bot", short for robot, from the Bing search engine is a crawler. Considering the billions of connected devices online these days, a bot from Bing may get to your website once every few weeks, which is incredible if you think about it. Of course, there are many bots that crawl your website. There are nearly a hundred different large search engines on the web and they all do their crawling so they can index the structure of your website and include it on their data. There are things that you can do to minimize your exposure or limit the robot's ability to index all your site.

It's not the bots that you have to worry about.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

worms, trojans, phishing, virus attacks and keyloggers worry me more!

john

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”