All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

kicking bike

Post by 61FLHPan »

I was wondering if anybody ever had a problem when kicking the bike over sometime the kicker arm just kick throw like i have no compression then the compression come back when i keep on kicking the bike kick over and run I was wonder in maybe that my vavle could be sticting open or some thing wromg with the ringsThank You
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: kicking bike

Post by Hog54 »

Your clutch might be slipping?
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Funny you should mention that... I just had the starter cover off to inspect the components. If there are issues in there with the gears on the crank and the mainshaft, or if there is significant wear on the actual starter clutch, then the crank might "miss" when you try to start it.

It's a relatively easy job to remove the starter cover and disassemble and inspect the parts.

WARNING: I'm having trouble putting the cover back on. Hopefully somebody will chime in with advice. Unfortunately I think a lot of the guys are away this weekend.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

steve_wood wrote:Unfortunately I think a lot of the guys are away this weekend.
No Steve, fortunately! (not unfortunately), and some of us are still on the way home. Davenport was absolutely awesome this year, if you ever get a chance you need to come down for the meet.

But, back to the original problem/question here, the feeling or sensation of no compression is fairly common and usually has nothing to do with the starter gears or mechanism, or bad rings, the problem is more likely due to what kind of fuel/air mixture that is in the cylinder when you kick it. If it kicks over too easy it is because you don't have enough "stuff" in there to compress and that is usually because you have a leak somewhere in the intake system; DO A LEAK TEST !!!

But, if you are sure you don't have any leaks, the next likely cause is a slipping clutch, but that has already been suggested. The third most likely suspect is valves; ADJUST THE VALVES !!!

mike
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

4th possibility is that the motor is not turning through a compression stroke and as you let off the kicker the motor rotates backwards. Try a half kick and reengage the kicker. I noticed this with the timer cover off once. also depending on your clutch set up I have pulled it in and let it snap back out. then kick and see if there is a difference. It usually happens to me when the bike is hot.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

PanPal wrote:4th possibility is that the motor is not turning through a compression stroke and as you let off the kicker the motor rotates backwards. Try a half kick and reengage the kicker. I noticed this with the timer cover off once. also depending on your clutch set up I have pulled it in and let it snap back out. then kick and see if there is a difference. It usually happens to me when the bike is hot.
This is exactly what was happening with mine---It was bouncing back off of compression each time i touched the kicker.
To check, put the tranny in any gear and roll the bike to see if there is in fact any compression.
Dale

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”