All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
busboys
Inactive member
Bikes: HD's

Gyptal - problem

Post by busboys »

I wanted to give my experience with Dolphs. I have had a 1965 flh that has been on the back burner for a couple years. No time, and other bikes to contend with...... I rebuilt the engine 3 years ago and decided to coat the cases inside with Dolphs. I found and purchased a fresh gallon at an electrical supply outfit. I then scrubbed the cases with brake clean, scrubbed with soap and water and baked in an oven for 3 hours at 275 degrees. ( I have an oven in the garage for small powder coating projects ) and followed with a 2 hour water and vinagar boil. I thought I had these very clean and ready for a coating. Then I slightly heated in the oven to get them warm and coated them. Now fast forward to now. I got the bike done and give it a test ride ( 40 miles ) get it home and check the filter. It had about a half teaspoon of red bits in it. So, as much as I hated I rip the engine out and discover the crap had started to come off inside the left side case. Now this was in an area that had some scrape marks from a previous problem with the flywheels ( a problem before I got the bike ). Well about a gallon of stripper and a bunch of time I finally got all the crap out and reassembled the engine. I guess I needed the practice. So I really believe I did a much better job of preparing the cases than most would do, I still had a problem. So if you use this stuff, better check that filter right away and don't hesitate to yank that motor for a look see!!
Busboys
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Gyptal - problem

Post by john HD »

what is dolph's?

i am in the elecrtical biz and never heard of it.

we use gyptol at the power company. and i still have it in my pan with no signs of it in the oil.

john

ps welcome to the forum!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Busboys!

Glyptal has only been known to fail from a faulty petcock allowing digestive modern fuel to leak into the motor over an extended period of time.

I'm not familiar with "Dolph's", but I fear it would fail under the same circumstances.

Welcome,

...Cotten
busboys
Inactive member
Bikes: HD's

Post by busboys »

Cotton, nope, gas was not leaking into crankcase. filled just prior to first ride. came off in sheets was no indication of it being disolved.

BB

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”