Dennis Hopper Died Today

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Dennis Hopper Died Today

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I had a my first Panhead when I saw Easy Rider. Molded frame, peanut tank, 21" with shaved down sliders, etc. I remember getting the bug so I bolted a Sportster front fender on with muffler clamps and put on bigger tanks. I stayed off the interstates whenever possible. Just drifted out West. Back then there were free campgrounds which attracted people with no money. Like me., I guess. Outside of Sundance Wyoming I ran into two street people at one. We partied a bit and they seemed ok. Something woke me up in the middle of the night. They were talking about stealing my bike, but were unsure of where the ignition switch was! My first thought was the scene where Dennis Hopper is screaming and waving his knife around after getting jumped. Luckily I had thrown up a tent, so I got dressed quietly, put my helmet on, took out my Buck knife and waited. I didn't sleep, because either of these guys would have been all I could have handled. They finally crashed and at the dawn I was out of there!!! I got over it and I took several of these trips when I was younger. Maybe this wasn't the message Dennis Hopper was aiming for in Easy Rider, but I had some great times. Rest In Peace Mr. Hopper.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Dennis Hopper Died Today

Post by panhead »

easyrider_286250e.jpg
easyrider_286250e.jpg (50.38 KiB) Viewed 655 times
RIP
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

A couple of years ago Dennis was in my shop for a photo shoot for Direct TV. My wife and I had a good time talking to him about the old days in Taos when he was mostly in a drug addled state. He was always one of our favorites, my wife was a big Blue Velvet fan! We will cherish the memory!
God speed Dennis!
Robbie
hoppershop2.jpg
hoppershop2.jpg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 530 times
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Robbie,
Great picture and a great memory for you and your wife. Thanks for posting it!

I have copies of all of his early biker flicks but I think that Hoosiers is probably his best performance.

May he rest in peace.

mike

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”