65 motor on a rigid frame

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

65 motor on a rigid frame

Post by socalrider »

can a 1965 panhead motor fit in a original harley straight leg rigid frame without any modifications to the motor or frame? my concern is the fact that 65 being the first year electric start the case on the shaft side is different . will the geometery from the primary chain to the drive chain work? has anyone ever had this setup?what are the complications if any?
gracias,
arnulfo
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 65 motor on a rigid frame

Post by RUBONE »

Arnulfo,
The '65 engine bolts right in. However you must use a '65 to '69 transmission as well or change the engine shaft in the '65 to a '56 type or use the longer -65 # shaft in the earlier transmission (NOT recommended as it will eventually cause a problem) Without one or the other of these changes the chain line is way off and won't work. The minor difference in the '65 cases does not affect the mounting, it was done to accept the new cast primary cases housing the electric start components.
Robbie
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Been runnin a 65 motor and tranny in a 57 straight leg frame for over 30 years. It all bolts in with no modification to frame or drive train. The frame doesn't know what year mill yer usin, nor does it care. As long as proper mainshaft is used with corresponding engine, all is well....bosheff
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

robbie , bosheff many thanks for the response. bosheff did the 65 trans bolt right up to the frame without the trans plate? did you use the cast aluminun inner primary and electric start? if so what did you do for a oil tank?
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear everybody,

Why does a Knucklehead motor fit right into a 1965 chassis without changing the transmission mainshaft?
EKNUCK2.jpg
EKNUCK2.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Respectfully,
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

Are you saying the primary chain is aligned properly with the -65 trans mainshaft and the knuckle motor sprocket shaft?....bosheff
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Bosheff,
Yes Sir. Dead nuts. But the primary lip of the left case had to be relieved a skosh for the aluminium primary. Id mock up any mix and match before I got too deep.

Surprised me too,
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I don't believe it, and you can't convince me. I have mixed and matched too many engines/trannys/frames to accept that.
It is a physical impossibility with stock components!
Robbie
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

Right off the top of head, I'd say the only way to run a pre 65 mill teamed up with a 65-69 trans would be to run the trans with some offset to the kicker side. By doin that, yer 5th mount on the trans will not line up with the "L" bracket on the frame under the kicker so to speak. Obvoiusly, the bolt holes in the inner primary on the 65-69 inner are not gonna match the pattern on the 54 and earlier engine. The last thing I'm gonna says is, "it ain't so", but never havin tried that particular combo I can't say if it would go or not. Seems highly unlikely to me. Is this thing runnin a compensator or rigid mount sprocket?....bosheff
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

To socalrider: Yer gonna need to use the -65 trans plate if ya use a 65 and later case, cause as I remember the trans case has been machined to register with the -65 trans plate. The front left mounting hole in the trans plate will not line up with the frame but the other three will. Simply drill a new hole in the trans plate after installing the other three bolts and you overcome that problem. Keep in mind that 65 and later trannies don't have a boss to mount the adjuster bolt to move the trans fore and aft because the 65 and later trans doesn't move. It is registered by the inner primary. I will post this and continue, because everytime I go into a detailed rant, by the time I try to post it, it all dissappears. Has anyone else experienced this phenominon?....bosheff
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I will post this and continue, because everytime I go into a detailed rant, by the time I try to post it, it all dissappears.
What do you mean, posts disappear?
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

It just did it again. It seems like if I take to long (as in I only have a limited time to author my comment), when I try to post it, it does not appear, kinda like I never did it....bosheff
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

As far as oil tanks, either Paughco or Jammer used to market an oil tank that held an FXE battery (electric start Super-Glide). It only held around 3 qts or less cause the battery took up a lot of its oil capacity area. This tank was considerably wider than the stock horseshoe unit, and it looked kinda funky bein so wide, but unless yer gonna fabricate yer own piece, ya didn't have a whole lot of other options. Upon further thought, these tanks were direct replacement for the swing arm units, so you had to modify the bottom left side to clear the starter motor.....bosheff
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

I used tin inner and outer primaries with the stock oil bag and chain guard. I also used a belt set-up which meant cutting out part of the inner to clear the bearing support. This has work admirably for many years. If you go this route I advise the belt vs. the chain in the primary. It eliminates tons of vibration, and once adjusted properly, it needs little attention. Just an afterthought, you can use either trans plate as the only difference is the front left mounting hole location. Hope this answers yer questions. If I am incorrect, I'm sure someone else will correct me....bosheff
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

There is no limit on the time needed to post.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”