Seal-Lock Fluid Weld

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Seal-Lock Fluid Weld

Post by rodklop »

The fluid weld product has been discussed a number of times on this forum. My question for anyone that has used it, is Fluid Weld a liquid or a cream type putty? I've searched all of the old posts and haven't been able to tell..Thanks....Rod
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Re: Seal-Lock Fluid Weld

Post by oldbob »

I tried Seal-lock on the my UL manifold nipple thread inserts. It was a white liquid and it did not work for me. It showed air leaks after it dried. Makes my wonder if I got part of a bad batch, I thought it was good stuff.

Bob
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Hi Bob...thanks for the reply. I'm going to use it in the same way. Never tried it before. my understanding is the parts have to be super clean for it to work. Don't know what else to try.......Rod
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

I have tried a few deferent sealers lock-tite 518, The heat and gas broke it down after about 1,000 miles. Before using a sealer I cleaned with wire brush and wire wheel and then cleaned parts off with brake clean. The last time I used JB-weld 12 hour set time type. On a UL it is steel threading in to cast iron. With a little extra heat above running temperature from a torch I'm sure I can get them back out some day if I need to. So far it is doing good. I don't know if I would want to use JB with cast aluminum in fear it might strip the threads trying to un thread it some day
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I found it to be the most appropriate, and most successful sealer for nipple replacement.

Parkerized nipples must have the parkerizing removed from the internal threads, as it interferes with the chemical bonding. Absolute cleanliness and freshly exposed metal is vital.

It is also the preferred compound for seat insert installation.

I have used it since the mid '80s, when I toiled in an auto shop pinning cracks in Model A and other engine blocks. It is phenomenal stuff, when properly applied.

....Coten
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Thanks guys.....I'm working on a pan head. I found fluid weld on line at $24 for 2oz.So I guess i'll go with that. ....Rod

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”