All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

how can my bike to be one kicker

Post by 61FLHPan »

I was wondering if any body has any ideal how to make you bike a one kicker I have manual advance
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: how can my bike to be one kicker

Post by Cotten »

61FLHPan!

They are not always one-kick. Sometimes she'll want three just because you looked at her funny.

But if she is genuinely hard to start, you need to find out what's not to "spec".

Have you followed the Service Manual thoroughly to be certain timing, sparkplugs, carburetion, and even the clutch linkage are in order?

Does she have tuning issues after she starts?
(If so, you probably have a common vacuum leak.)

....Cotten
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

They all start with one kick - you just never know which one!!![quote][/quote] OK now the real fun begins, 1st there are several issues you need to make sure are all in order. Are you running a 6 or 12 volt system? single or dual points, or electronic ignition? manual or auto advance? and what kind of carb.? Mainly all you need to do is make sure everything is compatible and set properly. Any non stock component can alter the way the bike starts. And even when everything is correct EVERY bike will have it's own personality. For example, mine wants 3 kicks with ignition off, choke on, and then full retard on timer, ign. on and one kick to start cold. Hot it wants choke off, 1/2 retard on timer, no throttle and one kick with ign. on. As I've said EVERY bike is different and you need to learn what yours' wants. The key is make sure you have absolutely no intake leaks, EVERYTHING is adjusted properly, especially the valves and timing, and you pre-set everything, "ie" gas on, timer retarded, choke on or off depending on if its cold or hot, etc. If EVERYTHING is set properly its just a matter of LEARNING what your engine combination wants. The learning curve can be exhausting at times but once you know what your motor wants you'll be able to go through your pre-set steps the same each time and it will usually start right up for you. But remember as soon as you tell someone it starts on one kick everytime and go to show them it will always choose that moment to make a liar out of you. So once you have your starting procedure down just keep your mouth shut and start her up, they'll get the message when yours' is fired up and they're still jumping up and down on theirs. Then you can take bets on which kick is going to start theirs. And finally remember, they ALL start on ONE kick - you just have to figure out WHICH ONE !!!!!!
FelthamW
Bikes: 1946 FL
1955 FLH
2005 FLHTC
1990 bastid wild child

Post by FelthamW »

In my stupid younger days, the degree of difficulty in successfully starting my bike was proportional to either how many people were watchin' or how many beers I had had............
It always started first kick when I was alone. Or sober.........
Wayne
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

With all due respect,
if everythings "in order" they all start the same way. Even Indians.

Easy.
Brrrap
Bikes: 1959FLH, 1979FLH, 2016FLHTP

Post by Brrrap »

As others have posted: Learn your bike and the way it likes to be started, Try to be sure all is in order as far as tuning ,ajustments and leaks. And lastly: Feel proud if it starts in less than a half dozen kicks between the ignition off and ignition on process. It'll make you that much happier when it does start often on the first kick.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

After you have checked the intake tract for leaks and done a thorough and exacting tune-up, there is one little trick to try. If you're running an M74B, remove the 1-5/16" venturi and install a 1-1/8" venturi. You may suffer some loss of power at speeds over 75 or 80mph due to the smaller bore, (do you really ride the old bike that fast?) but the greater pressure drop induced by the smaller venturi will provide a stronger signal at low speeds which will aid in starting. Works for me......
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

If all things are indeed in order,

Then the starting drill is the same for the vast majority of American motorcycles from at least 1927 through 1965, meaning all Schebler DLX and Linkert Model M equipt machines.

Many H-D owners find it beneficial, however, to only retard half-way.

The size of the venturi has little bearing upon starting, as it only exerts draw upon the main nozzle at speeds that one cannot achieve by kicking.

...Cotten

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”