All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
harley14094
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 fl police 54 fl chop 51 fl rat 51 fl 64 flh stroker 3 s 125 models

1960 pan police photos

Post by harley14094 »

hello i am new to the forum and am looking forward to the great info you all have to share. i am currently restoring a 1960 panhead police model. i would like to know if any one out there has photos or any literature anywhere on the police packages, how they differed from another, and some pics of the -58 police bubble bags. look forward to hearing fom you. i do have a copy of the 1961 parts catalog number 99450-61 if anyone needs any info from it . it covers 1952 to 61 el fl and sidecars, police models included. thanks harley milstead 1960 pan police
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: 60 pan police photos

Post by john HD »

welcome aboard harley!

you can search our gallery here and see if there is a photo of one. we are currently moving all of our photos to a new galley and keeping the old one as an archive. it is linked near the top of each page.

another place to look is the VAM site that is maintained by member chris haynes. here is a link to his police bike photo page http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Police/ i think there is at least one duo glide police bike there.

do you have bruce palmer's book yet? it is an invaluable resource when restoring a panhead.

again, welcome to the forum and enjoy!!

john
harley14094
Inactive member

Post by harley14094 »

yes i do have the palmer book. i also have alot of original advertisement but not for the 60 model year. thanks and im happy to be aboard. i have lots of specific questions for you guys. does anyone ot there own a duo glide police bike or maybe even a base model fl?? am i correct in assuming that my 60 frme is not supposed to have the letter and 3 or 4 didgit code on the left side of the neck casting?? my frame is stamped f9 on the motor mount. no code on the left neck area. my lower tree has a number so this would make it a 62 to 64 part??? also my trans case has no code in it either. my cases, heads, and transmission case are a 5-59 casting dates. is this normal for all of them to be in line like this?? sprry for all the questions but i neeeed to learn!!! thanks much harley
harley14094
Inactive member

Post by harley14094 »

thanks for the link to the police photos. good stuff. mine had the bubble bags and radio mounted in it. it was a local bike and i am trying to find some photos. i am also having trouble finding a police wiring guide. thanks
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Hello Harley14094,

While I don't own a '60 police bike, I do have a 34,000 mile repaint original '60 Panhead. Bike sat for 20 years before I talked the old timer into parting with it. Would be happy to forward photo's if they would be of any help to your project. The bike is listed in the photo gallery. Black and white.

Best of luck, Tony.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Th police bubble bags are the same plastic shell as the normal ones but with about a 1 1/2" wide chrome top band. The lid has a corresponding longer tab for attachment. They are also plain, no decorations on the sides. I had an NOS pair of lowers for years but could never find the matching tops. I finally sold them several years ago so I cannot photograph them. The radio mount is in the left bag.
Robbie
harley14094
Inactive member

Post by harley14094 »

exellent thanks for the help. i will be getting ahold of you for the pan pics for sure if you do not mind.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Quote: ‘am i correct in assuming that my 60 frme is not supposed to have the letter and 3 or 4 didgit code on the left side of the neck casting?? my frame is stamped f9 on the motor mount. no code on the left neck area. my lower tree has a number so this would make it a 62 to 64 part??? also my trans case has no code in it either. my cases, heads, and transmission case are a 5-59 casting dates. is this normal for all of them to be in line like this??’

harley14094, I believe the letter and three or four numeric characters you're referring to on the left side of the frame steering head were first introduced for 1962 models. (On page 27 of his book, Palmer indicates 1963. But I think 1962.)

If a Duo-Glide frame has a date code of F9 that would indicate it was manufactured in June 1959 which would be consistent with your 1960 model frame and therefore it shouldn’t have the extra ID characters.

For the lower triple tree and transmission case, again the extra ID was apparently introduced for 1962 models. For 1962-1963, the info I have regarding the extra ID is that the letters A and B apply. For 1964, the letters B, C and D were used. But the extra ID also continued after 1964 and some letters again overlapped. What ID have you got on your triple tree?

Regarding your cases, heads and transmission case all having 5-59 casting date codes, I can’t see any reason why that type of thing couldn’t have happened at one time or another.

For some police bike info, there is a book called Harley-Davidson Police Motorcycles by Robert and Robin Genat and I’ve had it on loan from a library here in Western Australia so you may be able to dig up a copy somewhere. I don't recall how much, if any, info it contained about police Duo-Glides but I'll check the library this week and see what's in it. Eric
harley14094
Inactive member

Post by harley14094 »

you guys are awesome. thanks for the solid info. i thought that the frame was correct and the production date on the engine and trans casting seemed too close to each other to me. but then agaian i wasnt there on the casting and production dates. i will definitly check that book on the police bikes thanks again. does any one have a suggestion on what paint to use on the frame. trees, swingarm??? thanks in advance....

harley milstead
63 KCPD
Bikes: 1963 Harley Davidson FL Police Special

Post by 63 KCPD »

Here is my 1963 FL Police. email me at dstrieter@patriotenvironmental.com if you would like more.

Regards...Dale
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

63 KCPD - I sent you an e-mail.
63 KCPD wrote:Here is my 1963 FL Police. email me at dstrieter@patriotenvironmental.com if you would like more.

Regards...Dale
Speeding Big Twin

I got the H-D police book I mentioned earlier and it had Duo-Glides from a couple of different years. The first picture is apparently from the Tampa, Florida, Police Archives:

Second one is from the Harley-Davidson Archives and there are three more to follow. Eric

Speeding Big Twin

Two more from the H-D Archives:

And the last one is from the RCMP Archives. Eric

harley14094
Inactive member

Post by harley14094 »

exellent. thanks to all. i am just getting set up to do this in the garage. im just starting t0o seperate all of my ridgis from swing arm parts. they are all piled. i am hoping to get the frame into paint soon but i am unclear on the color. everything i get seems too shiny, any suggestions??? thanks in advance. i tried to load a few pics of my current pan road toad but i couldnt get em uploaded.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Eric
I also want to thank you for posting those pictures, like Harley said EXCELLENT!

The picture of the two Milwaukee Police bikes really brings back some memories, some of them not so good. The Building behind the cop on the panhead is the Milwaukee County Courthouse, 901 N. 9th St, Milwaukee, WI. That is where we went to pay our traffic fines or appear in court when we did something bad enough that we couldn't just mail in the fine and had to stand in front of the judge. The building behind the servicar used to be the Milwaukee County Jail, don't ask me about that place!

The picture was taken looking west across 9th street from what used to be MacArthur Park, it may still be, but I haven't been there in 35 years. I'll bet that both of those buildings are still there and have not changed much since that picture was taken. Anybody got a recent photo?

thanks for the memories

mike

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”