speed wobble

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

speed wobble

Post by Rain Man »

Any ideas on what causes my 65 to go into the shakes on curves, or hit a rut on the freeway. Ray
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: speed wobble

Post by Panacea »

I would start by checking the rear wheel alighnment, if you have a lift, set the bike up so you can run a string alongside the entire lenght of the bike,even with the axels. Measure to the side of the rims, you should get the same measurement at the front and rear of both tires. Some bikes have an offset at the front wheel, which has to be calculated in. I did this on my roadking and all the high speed wobble was gone. You may also need to check the tightness of the steering head nut under the top tree, too tight or too loose can cause wobble in curves as well. Let us know what you find. Mike
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

How about the spokes? # 0ne handling problem!!
Mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

try the easy stuff first, tire pressure set to spec?

john
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

What the other fellows said.Also 90% of the time a motorcycle that shakes in a turn has a problem in the rear end and 90% of the time one that shakes its head in a straight line has a problem in the front end.If it isnt any of the simple stuff I would service the swingarm bearings and rear wheel bearings and the fork head bearings and front wheel bearings paying careful attention to fall away,fork oil and fork spring condition.Note that this is AFTER you have checked all the easier stuff.
Rain Man

Post by Rain Man »

You know you can't see the forest for the trees. So busy looking for the big problem I forget to check the simple stuff. My brother was looking for possible frame cracks on the 65 and stumbled into a load of loose/missing engine/trans nuts and bolts. This may not cure the wobble, but it's a great place to start.
Reminded me of a trip I took to Laughlin, Nv. I stoped for fuel up near Barstow. I was walking past a girl wrenching on her Wide glide, and overheard this guy saying "Yeah that's the problem with Harleys, your always working on them" Quick as shit she replys," Well if you just spent the last 200 miles between my legs, you'd have to tighten up you nuts too".
Ray
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

MY 58 had a wobble on turns years ago. Turns out I had a broken dampener assembly on one of the HydraGlide forks.
Doug
Rain Man

Post by Rain Man »

Doug, This is a strange one. Sitting still you can shake the handle bars. let them go and feel a shimmy all the way through the bike. I didn't have time to mess with it my last time home. It will have to wait a couple weeks. Anybody ever come accross this one before?
Ray

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”