All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
NewPanheader
Inactive member
Bikes: 56 Harley Panhead

help

Post by NewPanheader »

Hey all i just got a 1956 panhead and am trying to work on it a llittle. i think the timing is off a bit. would it be worth it to take it to the harley shop and let them figure it out? i know i will be on this site alot due to the fact that i got5 this bike based on looks and not on me being a mechanic. (i'm not)
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: help

Post by Ohio-Rider »

First off, congradulations on getting yourself one of the finest machines H/D ever produced. You are going to need to get yourself a few books before doing any work on the bike. I would start with a service manual and a parts manual for your year bike.
In the mean time, ask around about finding a good local independent mechanic who knows about the older bikes. The folks at the dealership often aren't that hooked up when it comes to the old bikes. good Luck
NewPanheader
Inactive member
Bikes: 56 Harley Panhead

Post by NewPanheader »

Ohio-Rider wrote:First off, congradulations on getting yourself one of the finest machines H/D ever produced. You are going to need to get yourself a few books before doing any work on the bike. I would start with a service manual and a parts manual for your year bike.
In the mean time, ask around about finding a good local independent mechanic who knows about the older bikes. The folks at the dealership often aren't that hooked up when it comes to the old bikes. good Luck
I have those books on order and will be here in a few days.like i said i am not mechanicly inclined. i bought this bike to learn. as for the harley dealer idea, i did call and service said the don't work on bikes older than 93 so service is out but they did hook me up with a guy in parts that owns a 38 and wrenches on them in his spare time and he said that he would not only work on my bike but show me how to fix it as well. i am glad that i just joined the harley family. lots of good people out there willing to lend a hand when needed.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Dang it. My post didn't go thru. Anyway. Stick around and hold off on HD shop labor and advice. IMO, they know very little about pans/knucks/flatties and they don't care to know or learn. There are many decades of knowledge here and they've put a bunch of us less than shade tree mechanics (especially me) on track numerous times. It could be a major ordeal but I'm betting the minds here will at least be able to isolate or get real close. You may even have one of them close enough to swing by and lend a hand personally.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”