Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
56stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: N/A

Searching to get my boys gift done!

Post by 56stroker »

Gone
Last edited by 56stroker on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Searching to get my boys gift done!

Post by john HD »

what's wrong with the chain?

are you gonna run an open primary?

john
56stroker
Inactive member

Post by 56stroker »

john HD wrote:what's wrong with the chain?

are you gonna run an open primary?

john
Well i don't have anything for it as of now. So i figured might as well go belt to avoid the oil mess to make it easier for my boy as well. And was hoping to find the belt drive i could run inside the stock primary. Do not want to go open primary. They can rip a leg off.

Jack
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

You could try looking on ebay . A few years ago when I was building my UL I picked up a complete 1-1/2 " belt drive system for $115.00 . You are a great Dad I hope you can get it all to come together in time.

Bob
56stroker
Inactive member

Post by 56stroker »

oldbob wrote:You could try looking on ebay . A few years ago when I was building my UL I picked up a complete 1-1/2 " belt drive system for $115.00 . You are a great Dad I hope you can get it all to come together in time.

Bob

Thanks for the tip my friend. I have been trying that for a few weeks now on eBay and people are insane. They jack a used drive past what it costs to buy a new one. Insane i tell ya. All because the auction says pan head or knuckle head. Nuts!

And thank you for the compliment! I hope my son feels the same way when he sees my old pan all fixed up waiting for him in the front yard when he comes home. The way its looking though brother it may not happen (ie) money and belt drive.

I would just go chain but the mess of the oil on the floor and the cost is about the same as going belt so.

Thanks guys.
Jack
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

Yes I just took a look and don't see any good deals. It is hit and miss on finding a good price.

Bob
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Jack , I have an old belt drive I will be willing to part with for your sons present and it worked when I took it off . It is used & has a few nicks , chips ,but I was running it . I will part with it for nothing, if you think it is Ok for your project.
You are a great father & I will be quite happy donating to such a cause as your son has earned it .I thought I had some photos in the tech. photo section ,but all I have is the new one in there ,I will take one tomarrow & post it for ya to look at and decide..
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

fourthgear, this picture?
normal_DSCN0116.JPG
normal_DSCN0116.JPG (56.25 KiB) Viewed 518 times
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Hay , Panhead , that is my old one , I thought it was my new one . Good eye .
here are some photos I took today , it seems to be an 11mm drive , because it matches my new 11mm BDL belt.(they give you a spare )
Attachments
LH0640.JPG
LH0640.JPG (35.35 KiB) Viewed 855 times
LH0639.JPG
LH0639.JPG (38.93 KiB) Viewed 854 times
LH0638.JPG
LH0638.JPG (45.74 KiB) Viewed 854 times
LH0635.JPG
LH0635.JPG (49.96 KiB) Viewed 853 times
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

And if you are going to go belt , you will need to do some thing with the breather , like photo below , there are other ways that work just as good ,like just a hose running out of the primary . I did it this way because there is nothing inside the primary to fall of in there and a little air can get in there through the hole for the tube.
Attachments
P7210013.JPG
P7210013.JPG (61.45 KiB) Viewed 839 times
56stroker
Inactive member

Post by 56stroker »

Wow fourth you are a upstanding brother. Thank you for the offer of this drive! I would gladly accept that drive for this project for my boy. Nicks and scratches only means its broken in lol! Please email me if you would like and i can send you my address and such and let me know how much it costs to ship it.

Thank you brothers!!!!

Shine on man shine on!

Jack
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Kudos Fourthgear for your generous offer!, but mostly for the support you've shown for all our boys that went "over there" to defend our freedom.

My 2 oldest boys recently returned from Iraq, just a few days before Christmas actually, it was the second tour for both of them. I'm thankful to have them both back happy and healthy. The first thing we did when we were all together again was roll all the hand jammers out of the shop, kick 'em up, and go for a ride. Both of them take a lot of pride in being able to handle the old foot clutch kick starters. Its time for the next generation to carry on the tradition. Some day I'll get the wife to take a movie or a few pics of the 3 of us on the road, its quite a sight.

Jack,
Here's hoping that your son arrives home safely and enjoys his present, you're a great Dad.
mike
56stroker
Inactive member

Post by 56stroker »

FlatHeadSix wrote:Kudos Fourthgear for your generous offer!, but mostly for the support you've shown for all our boys that went "over there" to defend our freedom.

My 2 oldest boys recently returned from Iraq, just a few days before Christmas actually, it was the second tour for both of them. I'm thankful to have them both back happy and healthy. The first thing we did when we were all together again was roll all the hand jammers out of the shop, kick 'em up, and go for a ride. Both of them take a lot of pride in being able to handle the old foot clutch kick starters. Its time for the next generation to carry on the tradition. Some day I'll get the wife to take a movie or a few pics of the 3 of us on the road, its quite a sight.

Jack,
Here's hoping that your son arrives home safely and enjoys his present, you're a great Dad.
mike
Thanks brother! I am glad to hear you have your boys back. I Will post a pic of my boy jammin out the drive when he comes home. This old pan used to be suicide shift with apes. Now i put a ratchet lid on it for my boy and still has the old school apes. Here is a pic of it a long long time ago, and it still looks the same. Except now it has apes on it. And the same paint in that pic is still shiny.

fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Jack
PM sent.
56stroker
Inactive member

Post by 56stroker »

I really do appreciate this help from you. You have a sunshine day my friend. I got this drive yesterday, and it is going to work GREAT! I will just take my dremmel tool to the chipped teeth and smooth them out. You are a great man!

Shine on man.

Jack

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”