Winter storage

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jd222
Inactive member

Winter storage

Post by jd222 »

Me and a couple of my buddies have this ongoing discussion here in New England- to cover or not to cover our bikes in storage. A couple of us (including me) store our bikes in sheds with wood floors, some in cement floored garages- all unheated. What are the opinions regarding using bike covers inthese situations or leaving the bikes uncovered? Thanks for anny and all advice!

Best,
Joel
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Winter storage

Post by PanPal »

I always make sure it is parked on a piece of carpet especially on Cement floors during the winter. I was told this helps keep the moisture from rusting things through the winter. I throw blankets over the bike just to keep dirt from work I do in the area off the bike, but I start it every couple weeks and run it around the neighborhood.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

In unheated storage as has been said , carpet under the whole bike and when I lived in Ohio , I always covered her and leave an air gap to let any condensation have room to dry out, some guys spray the motor and chrome with WD 40 to keep it from rusting and put them on lifts to get the tires off the ground and don't forget the batt. , disconnect it and remove it from the bike if long term storage and you don't or can't start her up at regular intervals.
There is nothing like heated storage if you have it.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

We always sprayed'em down with Pam cooking spray. It's vegetable oil and was cheaper than WD-40 and it washes right off. Carpet on the floor and old sheets to keep the dust off the bike.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”