What were the AMF years

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
shaker

What were the AMF years

Post by shaker »

I know someone on this board knows for sure , the years considered to be amf , i was asked this at work the other day , i guess because i ride a pan they think i know all about harley history , i told him i think it is 1968 to 1981 but i was not sure.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: What were the AMF years

Post by panhead »

1969 Harley-Davidson merges with the American Machine and Foundry Company (AMF), a longtime producer of leisure products.
1981 On February 26, thirteen Harley-Davidson senior executives sign a letter of intent to purchase Harley-Davidson Motor Company from AMF. By mid-June, the buyback is official, and the phrase "The Eagle Soars Alone" becomes a rallying cry.

(From the H-D website).

So you were right.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

If you view it from the assembly line, the '69 production model still held most of the intrinsic character of real HDs. (Like: the rider had to know something about it!)
And early 80's decade models showed little refinement from the AMF 1970 model (but for modern steps backward.) The evo revolution that saved the corporation was a true 'paradigm shift', and should not be compared to the golden age of motorcycling any more than a Mustang to a Model A.
So the AMF stigma persists through the entire Chubblehead era 'til '84.)
The market values of those machines are not strong. It costs more to re-do one than they are worth.
Buddy Seat

Post by Buddy Seat »

Very true Cotton.
But I'd guess if the bowling ball makers hadn't stepped up w/their deep pockets there might not have been an evo to save the Company. (Yea, who cares, I understand that to)
It's understandable, more so if you do not have a 'vested interest' in modern HD. Some do & it's a Good $$ thing. ;D
Aside from that I don't think it would affect Old Harleys or their 'keepers' at all.
SkyHogg
Inactive member
Bikes: 64 Pan, 77 Sporty, 05 Electraglide

Post by SkyHogg »

Also, since the buyout was during the '69 model year, the bikes do not have AMF on them anywhere, and are considered the last from the "old" company. Until I got my '05 Electra I've never messed with anything newer than a '64, so I can only repeat what I've heard about all the old "cone" shovels. But there's still some on the road, so they can't be all bad. If anyone doesn't want theirs, I'll haul it off for a very modest fee.....
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

to my knowledge it was 70 - 80 but like was said left over stock extended it both ways 70 + 80 +

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”