Vintage plates

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Vintage plates

Post by panfreak »

I just had a very interesting conversation with someone from the "collectors" division of the provincial insurance corporation. My question to her was "If I find an original 1958 licence plate, could I put my insurance decal on it and run it on my bike?" You guessed it..... NO. Why? Because some time ago they changed from 4 digits to 5 and there is no way to input the old sequences into the new system. Logically, I asked "well what if I had been using the same plate since '58, and just kept putting new decals on every year?" Her responce was that at some point in time, I would have had to surrender the old 4 digit plate and get a new one.
I was getting nowhere, but I was nice I guess, and she indicated there was a bit of a loophole in that I could run an old plate OVER TOP of my current plate. As long as my plate was secured in it's proper place with
valid decal on, and I had my registration papers with me, the insurance corporation would honor all coverage. They didn't care if it was hidden under an old vintage plate, as long as it was there in it's proper place. One down, one to go; the cops. I don't know what they would have to say about this, I'm gonna find out. But my argument will be that if the insurance company is happy, and I'm not comitting any moving violations, why would there be a problem with the police?
I should mention that US policies may be different, this reflects my province of BC.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Vintage plates

Post by caschnd1 »

You can be sure that here in the U.S. there is no way you'd get away with that. The police want a visible legitimate license plate in view at all times. Here they can get cranky even if the plate is rotated 90 degrees the way some guys like to run them. I've had to surrender old license plates in the past when the numbering systems were updated.

-Craig
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i know in va. an old tag is treated like the cheap antique tags you get at the dmv. it is assigned to the bike and you do not have to renew or run yearly stickers. i have those antique issue plates from the dmv cause i can't find a 59 va. tag. they said come on back when you find one and they will issue the #'s on the metal tag to me.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

In Illinois, if you have an antique registration, you are allowed to run any (motorcycle) plate of the year of your machine. You need only to carry your issued plate and registration with you.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
in wash. state the plate is the same year as your bike, and don't need to carry papers with you, one time fee of 35.00 and no more to pay. got 3 veh. done this way.
they would only use my money for buses and HOV lanes any way....
stinkin things, just doing my part..... ;D

panfreak......
so does that mean that you still have to pay every year for tags?

mbskeam
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

UPDATE:
I went on my own accord to the local detachment today (that feels wierd) and asked about covering up my plate. NO WAY says segreant dickhead. He said that an officer following must be able to destinguish the numbers so he can run them to see who you are, or if the bike has been reported stolen. This applies not only to another plate on top, but dirt, snow, or basically anything that prohibits them from seeing the numbers. He also said that of course the insurance company doesn't give a rats ass, once you've paid your yearly premiums thats all they're after, they only want my money, and don't care if someone is driving around on my stolen bike. That has been the only time any of this has made sense.
I have not given up. Their is a goddamn buggy on mars, I'm sure there is a way. I'm gonna go back because I didn't think of it at the time, but whatabout personalized plates? If someone could get IDIOT on their plate (coincidentally I've been called that before) whats stopping me from buying a vintage plate with, say, 123-LT on it, and then applying for a personalized plate with those numbers on it. Once my personalized plate arrived, those numbers would then be in their system, so I could trash the personalized plate, put my decals on the old one, and any cop running those numbers would get back the insurance info he needs. Hmmm. Back to see dickhead on monday, I'll let you know how it goes.
Mike,
When you say tags, do you mean plate? You buy the plate once (I think it was about 20 bucks) and every time you insure it they give you a sticker to put on it with the date your insurance runs out. Stickers every year, plate only once. BTW, a year of basic insurance if you're eligible for collector status (me) is $230.00can. Thats probably under 200 of your yankee money. Cheeeeep!
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

In CA. You can register an old plate as a personalized lic. plate the guys with the roadsters and buckets do it here all the time but I haven't seen a motorcycle with an old plate yet but it cost you 40.00 a year plus the registration
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

WOW! I'm feeling oppressed after hearing some of the stories about other states laws. In Arizona I have to use the tag I'm issued and I have to pay license fees every year. On a new bike that could be several hundred dollars a year. Thankfully my panhead is only $40 for a two year tag.

-Craig
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
one would think that if you dig into the veh. license laws in most states they have old plate provisions. look them up on line, as the DMV don't or wont tell you what is really out there.

mbskeam
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

03Roadking,

I registered my 59 in CA after purchasing it in Rhode Island. I had to put the ugly CA white plate on the bike. I purchased a restored 56 CA plate along with a 59 sticker $225.00 total $75.00 just for the sticker "OUCH" to match the year of my bike and submitted my paperwork at the DMV for YOM Plate=Year Of Manufacture. DMV sent me 2 tabs, one for the Month and one for the year to bolt onto my plate. Cost me around $40.00.

ozwick
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

ozwick
I knew it could be done I just didn't know how until now
money makes the world go round it's like I've always said "the government is here to help" "Themselves"
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

In Michigan you may register an antique plate. It's a one-time registration but there are some restrictions. "Technically" it's only supposed to driven to/from events like shows and parades etc. But most owners ignore that part.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

I'm gonna take mbskeam's suggestion and do some more research. He's probably right that the DMV folks are not telling me all my options. Probably just want to do what makes their jobs easier. I was able to get a "Historic Vehicle" plate when I registered the bike. It's a nice antique looking plate but a real plate from '49 would be nice. Probably hard to come by here in Arizona. This place was almost entirely farm and ranch land back in those days. Not many people who would have been buying motorcycles.

-Craig
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
Caschnd1........

try looking at this: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRev ... p?Title=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

28-2484. License plates for historic vehicles; definition

A. The department shall issue special license plates for a historic vehicle on application and in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department. The license plates are in lieu of the regular license plates issued by the department.

B. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to the historic vehicles shall be manufactured from Arizona copper and shall run in separate unique numerical series. The license plates shall be of a distinguishing color but different from the color selected for license plates issued under section 28-2482 or 28-2483.

C. On renewal of registration of a historic vehicle, the department shall annually issue symbols or devices as provided in section 28-2355.

D. The director shall grant the final approval of a vehicle to be licensed under this section.

E. For the purposes of this section, "historic vehicle" means any of the following:

1. A vehicle bearing a model year date of original manufacture that is twenty-five years old or older.

2. A vehicle included in a list of historic vehicles filed with the director by a recognized historic or classic vehicle organization during the month of December of each year.

3. A reconstructed vehicle that the director determines, on application by the owner, retains at least the basic original body style as manufactured twenty-five years or more before the date of the application.

28-2487. Model year date license plates

An owner of a vehicle that is eligible for registration pursuant to section 28-2483 or 28-2484 may use a license plate previously issued by this state with the date of the year corresponding to the model year date when the vehicle was manufactured in lieu of the license plates issued pursuant to section 28-2483 or 28-2484. To qualify for the license plate authorized by this section:

1. The department shall approve the license plate and determine that the model year date license plate is legible and serviceable and that the license plate numbers do not conflict with other numbers currently assigned to license plates issued by the department. The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of the year of the license plate to be used corresponds to the model year date when the vehicle was manufactured.

2. The owner of the vehicle shall comply with the requirements for the registration of the vehicle.

good luck,
it seams that they don't have much for bikes and did you know that it costs a car 8.00 for a veh fee and they charge bikes 9.00, for the same paper work . that would piss me off, as its the same amount work ........

mbskeam
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

mbskeam,

Thanks for the link!

The plate I have now is the historic vehicle plate describe under section 28-2484. It's kind of a cool plate because it is made of copper with red lettering. Not bad looking.
I'll have to see if I can come up with a plate that matches the year of manufacture for my panhead. If I can, it sounds like section 28-2487 will allow me to use it.

-Craig

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”