All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Soap & engine stand

Post by fourthgear »

For all that are doing leak checks of there Manifolds , soap is good and cheap , and available in most house holds , but there is a product I use in my field of HVAC/R that will out perform a mixed soap solution and its called BIG BLU ,micro leak detector solution and is available at air conditioning and refrigeration supply stores ( Johnstone supply ,ect.)I use it for Refrigerant and Pneumatic leak detection . It will bubble at the slightest leak . It goes for about $ 8.29 per qt. in a spray bottle and just washes off with water.
I want to thank Mbskeam for the great engine stand , if anyone needs one , he be the man for one
Cotten

Re: Soap & engine stand

Post by Cotten »

I often regret suggesting diluted dishsoap, as it is quite corrosive if not thoroughly rinsed.
kell

Post by kell »

Cotten
It's kind of hard to tell if you're joking.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Seriously, the stuff can ruin cadmium or un-oiled parkerizing very quickly, and leave white spots on polished aluminum.
Ironically, old Factory literature specifies Ivory soap for washing the machines, but I doubt it is the same today. The liquid form is obviously not.
It is best to wash down any bubbles with a spray bottle of distilled water, unless the machine is a righteous Rat with a self-protective coat of "character".
kell

Post by kell »

I know that when I was a kid Ivory laundry soap was real soap flakes, not detergent. Dishwashing liquid in general is detergent. Using real soap might avoid the problems.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”