Running old plates

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Running old plates

Post by mbskeam »

Hello, how many of you run vintage plates on your bikes?
In wash.On a bike 30 years or older you can licence it as antique. come up with the year of your bike licence plate . go to the DMV pay 35.00 and run this old plate for life no renewal to pay too the blood suckers again. been running this since 1994. O and i'm exempt from the helmet law in this state.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Re: Running old plates

Post by Sidecar »

I haven't paid much attn recently here in Pa. I think you can only run antiques in the daytime and only so many miles per year ??
They changed the helmet law also. I'm not sure what that is either, but I think you have to wear one for 2 years before you can go without ?? I think there is a minimum age also ??
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

Running an "Antique" tag here in FL. No restrictions, cheaper up front, but still must be renewed annually and may of course only be transferred to another antique. (defined as 30 yrs here) The State did away with the "collectable" designation a few years back.
kickerdel

Post by kickerdel »

Post by KICKER

if i understand you correctly, if i licence my flathead as a vintage. i won't have to wear a helmet in wathington state?
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

yes kicker, if your bike is 30 years or older and the plate for your year bike . 1956 plate for 1956 titled bike etc...Look up RCW 46.16.305 special lic plates.paragraph 1. As for the helmet law 46.37.530 it basically says all MC riders must wear a helmet, paragraph 1 sub sec C: except when licensed as an antique. rcw 46.16.305. I carry copys of these laws as the cops dont know this stuff . it will save you a lot of hasles. just remember if you do this and get stoped tell them you are test ridding the bike . it is one of the clauses on when you can ride , and we all know that we are always test riding these old bikes. ;D Mbskeam
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Big Mike, I live here in Fla. also. Helmet law was repealed on 7- 1- 2000. But only if you carry
Full coverage Ins. [supposed to] I'm gonna look into the antique tag, for my FlatHead Servi...
Had a special tag for my '49 Studebaker p/upStreet rod.
Red & white numbers & said Street Rod.
[annual renewal] No more free rides!!!
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I live in Florida and up in till a few years ago if your scoot was 35+ yrs. old you could get a red ANTIQUE Plate. Well they did away with it. I got 1 in 91 before they did the dirty. It too is a permanent type on the experation it says PERManent. I had a Cop ask me in a parking lot what the story was and he even said cool (hadn't a clue) Well no more of that they give out a different type antique along with classics and there is a yearly renewal. I'll take a picture of the plate and put it up its a cool plate especially with the NO MORE FEE part. My Shovel turned 35 in 2001 and couldn't get one for that. No reg fees along with No helmets its almost like dieing and rideing in Heaven Cool I'll post it up on the board somewhere............

Sorry made a mistake its a horseless carriage plate. NO stickers. http://www.sunnysouthflorida.com/horseless.html
for now this is a link will try to figure out the way to put in post later................................
kickerdel

Post by kickerdel »

Thanks for the info mbskeam, leave it up to wa. state to have some insane clause. i can see the lights as we speak!!!!!!!!!!!
{paranoia, like looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a police car!}............. neil young
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

Kicker, Insaninity is what I live for , the laws that these social engineers come up with never amazes me. Surprised Thats why I like letting every old bike and car owner know about these clauses in there well writen laws. :-/ Thats how I get my name Mb" skeam"..Now if I can just find that loop hole for that peskey MC endorsment they say I have to have , just another way to suck the life energy $$$$ from Me , Us ,O Hell every body! Regards Mbskeam
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Here in the United Kingdom, any vehicle registered before 1st January 1973 is classed as a Historic Vehicle. This means it will be exempt from paying road tax. The road tax money is supposed to pay for road maintenance, but of course the cash just disappears into the government coffers while our roads fall apart. Also, standard registration plates have black numbers and letters on a yellow plate, but Historic Vehicles can use silver or white numbers and letters on a black plate, so even somebody who wouldn't know a Panhead from a Fireblade can see that you are riding something interesting. I still have to wear a helmet, though.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Running Missouri Historic plates on a 64 FL. That is, when it IS running!!!!!!!!
52 Chopper

Post by 52 Chopper »

Yes I must admit, I run with a "vanity" antique vehicle plate, HDPAN, here in IL. They cost less and only require registration every other year. A lot of the guys that ride lovely restored Pans, think it's a shame I have this plate on a 52 chopper! Oh well, first come-first serve¦
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

In Illinois and some other States, if you have an antique vehicle registration, you can run an original plate of your vehicle's year.
But you must have your modern plate and paperwork with you.
(Helmets are a matter of choice, with thanks to the state's ABATE for keeping it that way.)
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

Here is the deal in Michigan:

For vehicles older than 25 years an antique plate is available for $30, and is good for 10 years, BUT you are only allowed to ride in parades, car/bike shows, or historical vehicle events. No routine transportation use is allowed. It has to be owned solely as a collector's item.
For $35 you can use the original plate for the year of your vehicle, it is valid until you scrap, transfer/sell, or modify the vehicle (?), BUT all the other above restrictions apply.
MI is also a helmet nazi regime, a vehicle insurance law insane asylum, and has some of the worst drivers in the world. However, if you like riding in pretty scenery it hardly has a match anywhere.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Jonderson

Heard about the new "fee" that they have put on vehicles. It's $300.00 or $400.00 additional per vehicle ain't it ?? Got a buddy that lives north of Grand Rapids that has 3 antique cars and he told me about it.
You are correct. Great scenery, but too many bugs !!!!
Ever go to Rosie's Diner, the one they use in all those movies ??

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”