Panhead changes

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Singer

Panhead changes

Post by Singer »

Hi..

I read somewhere that 59 was a good year for the Panhead, anybody knows why??
considering the changes they made on the Pan engine throughout it's life span, what should I look for or be careful about (any specific year?)
I know they changed the oil lines from inside to out side in 62 or 63... any good explanation why, does it make any major diffrence?

thanx
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Panhead changes

Post by Cotten »

There were no bad years!

Every year was delightful, except maybe '65 like my wife's. It's possessed. Won't die!

I have done one complete 'correct' '59, and it certainly has the best features of the breed.
65flh5326

Post by 65flh5326 »

Ofcourse 55 has the timken bearing on the left main shaft. 58 has the larger right main bearing carried on through to 1999.
62 through 65 have improved intake ports. 63 to 65 have the out side oil lines.
Pre 63 oils the top end through a channel in the cylinder. Well, the oil going to get hotter traveling through the cylinder, so overall cooling is improved on 63 to 65.
66 was not an improvement, but we all know that!

Don
Singer

Post by Singer »

Hi Don

Thanx!!

what you are saying is! all'n'all they where all good?
what would in your oppiginion be the best choice??

Danny
65flh5326

Post by 65flh5326 »

Danny, If I had to chose, I would stay with my 65. Mainly because it has an AM radio!
dj

Post by dj »

'59 rules. It's got shocks, I like the Hydra-Glide tins and bucket headlight, I like the tank emblems that are also on the '60.

It was also the year that I was born. '59 rules!
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I'm having a great time with my 59 and do agree it has some of the nicest features. Back when I was searching for a panhead to buy I was looking for anything 53 and up. I remember reading a statement in a book that as off 53 the owner did not have to be a mechanic to own one. That is when hydraulic pushrods were introduced. The original style hydraulics weren't the best design though. I've also been told Harley really perfected the motor in 58. They are all good no matter what year, as long as they are set up right.

65flh5326
When I picked up the 59 it had the same AM radio on it. Does it have a lockable glove box in the top? Now I wish I didn't sell that thing. And GREAT SHOP! Looks like you are set up right! Machines that make machines.
65flh5326

Post by 65flh5326 »

Yep PanPal, I has a glove box with a cigarett lighter in it. Its such a ridiculous item, I never could bring myself to remove it.

Don
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I should know better than to say this without searching first, but I read somewhere once that there was a fire in '59 that led to low production numbers from the factory that year, possibly making them more desirable because of this? Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any year!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”