Paint info needed: suggestions as to primers and topcoats

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Paint info needed: suggestions as to primers and topcoats

Post by 51Hog »

I am getting ready to sandblast the frame. Any suggestions as to primers and topcoats?
I used to paint airplane tubing with DP40 and have done a lot of painting with lacquer and Imron.
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Paint info needed

Post by 57pan »

I powder-coated my frame when I did my rebuild and it really does produce a nice finish but, if I were to do it again, I think I would use POR-15. The problem with powder-coat is you can't have any filler on it so you have to weld or braze any spots that you want to fill then grind and sand it down.

Just my .02
kickstart
Inactive member
Bikes: 1957 pan
99 flht
96+91 SOFTAIL

Post by kickstart »

Powdercoat ... Actually looks very original, and holds up the best when you wrench bang here and there.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I have been doing a lot of investigation on the subject.
There is only one company that does powdercoat in my area. Due to lack of competition, they are pretty expensive. IMHO
I have seen some of the powder jobs, and they do look great.
I am now looking into the POR-15 system.--It actually looks very interesting. I may have to try it.
Thanks to all.
327nova

Post by 327nova »

51Hog,
I would not recommend POR as a frame paint. POR works fine for undercoat and areas not under constant exposure to the elements. I used it on a stripped truck bumper and it started to fade and come off. On my frame, I used a black chassis enamel from GM that seems to hold up well. Good Luck
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Did you use the complete system? or just the POR 15?
The POR 15 is UV sensitive and must be topcoated with something. If you used the complete system and still had trouble, they have a money back guarantee.

Thanks for the heads-up
327nova

Post by 327nova »

51Hog,
I just used their standard gloss black brushed on bare metal. A clean air breathing system or damn good respirator is needed since I believe it contains isocyanates. There is a safer paint in this category called Zero Rust, but I have not used it. Both seem to be geared for the old car market to "stop" rust, which is what any good paint does. Good Luck
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Iso release is highly dependent on the type of application (spray, forced-heat, confined spaces) and quite often will not become an airborne issue from simple brush/roller uses. I think TDI-based have higher vapor pressure than MDI or HDI types, though.
51Hog,
I just used their standard gloss black brushed on bare metal. A clean air breathing system or damn good respirator is needed since I believe it contains isocyanates. There is a safer paint in this category called Zero Rust, but I have not used it. Both seem to be geared for the old car market to "stop" rust, which is what any good paint does. Good Luck
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

51Hog,
I just used their standard gloss black brushed on bare metal.

POR 15 is just an undercoat/Primer. They manufacture top coats also. You must use a top coat to protect the POR 15 form UV rays.
Their website says that ANY paint can be used As a top coat.
I am using POR 15 as a primer, acrylic enamel as a color, then I am clear coating.
It is a shame that the POR 15 cannot be used as a top coat---It is a very high gloss. The ol gal is starting to look good. Can't wait to start assembly. Maybe next week.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”