Old school

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
haggis
Bikes: *

Old school

Post by haggis »

Almost time to start tearing down and tweaking for next year, got maybe a week or two left for decent riding weather up here in Maine.....there was frost on the pumpkin for the past two days!!
Old school rules.........Haggis.
49oldschool
Inactive member

Re: Old school

Post by 49oldschool »

Right you are Haggis, I 2nd that thanks to Panhead for the the new listing. Nothing against the stock Pans,because ANYTHING old is certainly cool, but old school choppers are the bomb! Sorry to hear there's not much riding time left for you Haggis,I'm in Missouri and our riding season lasts a little longer than yours (75 degrees today). Just got my 49 back up and running and I'm enjoying the extra time in nice weather. Ride Safe!!

Old School truly Rules.........49oldschool
chopper
Inactive member

Post by chopper »

I agree with 49 Oldschool, old stock bikes are nice and beautiful, but this is the thing for me..Sorry to say the riding season is over for us here in the "land of vikings" but good thing is we got plenty of time to "chop and bob" our bikes and cars....

Have a nice one
Rikard.......
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Hey Guys, I"ve got a old school chop scattered all over the garage and its been about 10 years since I've done this. I've got lots of ??? and I would appreciate some help. Bike is a 53 frame thats had 2" added to the front legs,Its got a 8" over girder and it sets right. My first problem is I would like to put a Fat boy wheel on the back but I need help with axle and spacer pieces to use for this swap. Thanks Ed ???
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

Ed:

First thing I would do is post your question as a new thread. 8-) Welcome aboard!

Jonderson
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I was a kid in the 70's and used to chase around after my older cousin who was a biker. I thought he was cool. My image of those days instilled in me a love of bikes, and what they should look like. Although the term old school has probably been around for awhile, it is now apparent that was the style I was always drawn towards. It had to look just right- apes, extended, raked, small tank, you know what I mean... It's a shame in a way that every corner shop is now building and labelling old school choppers. Kinda like a secret beach you could go to and hardly anyone else knows about it. Now, word has spread and your beach is so crowded that it's not the same anymore. Maybe I'm selfish, or old fashioned, I don't know, but I hate labels and posers on my beach.
I should add that I'm not calling you all posers, I'm just throwing in my morningnotenoughcoffeeyet rant.
haggis

Post by haggis »

Panfreak,
Rant away my friend ; cause this is the place to do it !
I graduated from high school in 74..which makes me an old fart now I guess,,,,,,but That was the time for choppers...not bobbers.I too spent time following older guys who were cutting the crap out of any old iron they could get there hands on... and learnt by watching.. then doing.Choppers had to have an extended front end 10'' at least, peanut tank and the 21 '' front wheel ..no brake. As you say, everyone is on the old school bandwagon now cause its cool...thanks to too many tv shows about building NON choppers. If I see one more chopper with an evo or S&S motor in it I'm gonna puke! It has to be old iron for old school...if it dont have a wishbone frame, an old Pan motor....then stop right there 'cause it aint old school.....shit I need more coffee.....OLD SCHOOL RULES...Haggis
p.s. let the fun begin!!!!!!!!
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

haggis, Your not to old ,the # behind my name is not just for the year of my bike. I grew up in the L.A. area, it all started the first time I saw the HA's freight train by I knew some day I would have one of those bikes. After a start with a sporty more than a few shovels and a couple of evo's I end up with a 53 wish bone held up in front by a 6 over girder and no front brake!! My only thought is that I'll be able to kick her over when I get done! Gotta have a 21 up front with no fender and hard tail in back but maybe I,ll work on one of those air ride seats I'm not as young as I use to be!!! FastEd53
haggis

Post by haggis »

Hi Fast Ed...
Thanks for the kind words my friend....the ride sounds cool too..post some pics when your done..as for kickin her..you'll be so damn happy to have her done you wont notice the effort ;)
was toying with an air ride .is that the one with the air compressor? Haggis
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

haggis, a few years back while drag racing we made our own air tank out of 2- 3" pvc caps solvent welded together then drilled and tapped and used it for air shifter. I know it sounds crude but it worked. Mini air compressors are about $ 500.00,. a little steep. Right know I've got the air pods built but still playing with direct action or a lever system to lift the seat. main goal is to keep it hid. Thanks, Ed
haggis

Post by haggis »

FastEd,
Very cool...and very interested in what you are up to ;)
Keep us posted to how you get on.......
After this winter the roads are going to be even worse than usual, something to retain hardtail look but give my bleeding kidneys a little break would be cool! ;) Haggis
Zup
Inactive member

Post by Zup »

Gents: Glad to see fellow alumni from the old school.
Will hit the 1/2 century mark this year myself. And gotta agree with you about the old school look. Got a 56 Straightleg (nothing wrong with a wishbone, just like my straightleg) 12 over springer, narrow 21" (no fender or brake), butt buckets and I just might get around to replacing the fishtails this next time around (gettin' pretty blue & scraped up)
Some new old schools being built 'might' have some resemblances, but they just ain't the same. Retro is retro, give me hard core nostalgia instead.
Keep the Dino's running.
Old Harleys don't leak oil... They Mark their Spot!

Ride Safe Ride History
haggis

Post by haggis »

Hi Zup,
One more for the old school squad, glad to hear the old iron's still rolling.Nothing wrong with a straight leg ( I was on a rant ;)) ,original frame...thats the stuff.
Just putting on some new fishtails myself...love those things!!! Welcome aboard zup..good to have you here , Haggis
FFMedic
Inactive member

Post by FFMedic »

Zup,
Mark their spot, huh?? Love it, and with your approval, I'm gana us it!!!
Zup
Inactive member

Post by Zup »

FFMEDIC, By all means use it!! I picked it up too many years ago to remember where or when, but Love it myself & use it freely. Feel free to do the same.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”