Mileage and range

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
xnoahx

Mileage and range

Post by xnoahx »

On my Pan with 3.5 gallon tanks I have about a 60-70 mile range. I was just wondering if this is pretty standard for these bike and if it is, is there anything that can be done to increase my range short of getting bigger gas tanks.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Mileage and range

Post by mbskeam »

well....
you might be runnin a bit rich, you are only getting 17-20mpg.
with my 3.5 tanks I go about 140 miles=40mpg and a bit better on a the highway.
what carb do you have? is your timing set right?what do the plugs read? can you smell unburned fuel at the exhaust?
all these things are easy to check

mbskeam
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Im running a linkert, assuming its standard for the 64. Bike starts and runs great so Im guessing my timing is correct, my exhaust smoke is noticably black at idle and when I rev it up.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

xnoahx-
Im guessing my timing is correct, my exhaust smoke is noticably black at idle and when I rev it up
Best to know yer timing IS correct. (by checking)
& your carb sounds to be too rich altogether.
Besides just wasting ga$oline....
It also washes the oil film off the cyl walls, causing pre-mature wear... :o
Your mpg should be much better than, only 17/20....
Lstpan65
Inactive member

Post by Lstpan65 »

I was wondering the same thing, I also run a Linket in my 65. I haven't checked the mileage per say but I know I'm between 25 and 30mpg. My timing is dead on and the ignition is also correct. The plugs are starting to clear (carbon build up) so I know its running a little rich. I lean it out a little at a time but I'm not sure when or where to stop. I'm assuming the bike will tell me when enough is enough.
Whats the best way to tell?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

You cannot tune by the plugs.
Once you've found the sweetspot for the needles that gives the best performance, any other adjustment is a compromise.
The most common causes of poor mileage for Linkerts are
(1) manifold leaks and
(2) boatanchor floats.
Other minor considerations add up as well, all centered around the condition of the carb.

.....Cotten
Lstpan65
Inactive member

Post by Lstpan65 »

Hi cotton,

I got you on the plugs, when I was getting the bugs out I had it idling allot so my plugs carbon-ed up. Now that I'm taking it out on longer rides I noticed the plugs starting to clear up. I have wondered about the float though. I went with a brass float, set it by the book, seams to be working fine. But, I honestly wouldn't know how to tell. The bike sometimes is a little tough to get going when cold, but once it warms up its usually one kick or two to get it started.
I did read in hear some where that an alternative has been developed, by yourself, I believe. If you could, please PM me and I'll work out the arrangements.

Thanks. Mark
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Cotten has the absolute best float for the Linkert Carb., mine works great and I'm sure others will say the same.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

1stPan65!

There was a time when brass floats were all there was, as the modern detergents in fuels digest nearly every sealer for cork, as well as every repop dumpling made to look like a float.
Brass floats made in India weigh three times as much as a cork, and are inflated in volume to make up for it. This robs the bowl of important reserve, and the inertia makes the float action sluggish enough to rob mileage and performance.
The American-made Kokesh brass floats weigh four times as much.
I'm surprised your machine runs at all at a stock setting.
And yes, I personally machine the only Linkert float replacements on the planet that are absolutely fuel-proof, and of the original buoyancy, so that they are to be set at book spec.
(And Scheblers and Marvels too.)

Please post me direct at liberty@npoint.net for availability.

Thanks,

...Cotten

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”