Looking for plastic tool coating stuff

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Looking for plastic tool coating stuff

Post by Sidecar »

Anyone know where I can get that liquid plastic/rubber stuff that you dip tools in to coat the handles?
I have no idea what you call it. I used to see it in some of the junk catalogs I get.
Lemme kow if you know of it...

Found it !!!
Dip & Grip at JC Whitney....
It's flexible when dry too !
sleeper

Re: Looking for plastic tool coating stuff

Post by sleeper »

Good 'ol JC Whitney... Been around since forever.
They have some battery additive for a few bucks Xj6 ?something like that. I still have that HD battery I used that additive in from 1997, it's in my Lawn Tractor last 4 yrs. prior to that it was in my HD.
57JOHND
Inactive member

Post by 57JOHND »

Sidecar,

Ive seen it at Home Depot. Its always been in the "electrical" section by the conduit/boxes etc. not in the tool section. Something like "Plasti-Dip" or something like that. Hope it helps.

JOHND
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Thanx for the help 57JohnD.
I never thought to look at Lowes or the Depot.
I bought a jug from Whitney but I'm going to look at the Depot to see which one I want to try first.
I have a lot of tie m/c tie down straps that need the hooks re-coated. One of these two mixes should do it.

Thanx again
Randy
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Read the directions on Tool-Dip. It says to clean the part and spray it with primer and dry first... before coating. To keep some shelf life in the opened can, put the lid on and run masking tape around the lid seam, if it's tool-dip.
J.C.Whitneys Charge-IT or VX-6 is a cadmium additive for batteries that really works. As their spokesman Kyle Petty testifies,..."I'd rather race without tires than not use XJ-6 in my battery". Buy the quart bottle and a 2.5 oz. m/c bottle. Keep the M/C bottle to fill from the quart. To a new 6V battery add 0.833 oz of VX-6 and 7.167 oz. of fresh electrolyte. I use a 22 oz. honey bottle to squeeze-off acid into each cell. Charge m/c batteries with a Battery-Tender. Batteries will last for years. I've had mine out of my machine since June '03. Every month I charge it on the Tender and within an hour it goes from "charging" to "monitor charge."
kell

Post by kell »

Another battery additive is EDTA. I had assumed XJ-6 was just EDTA under a brand name but apparently it is some other substance, as it has cadmium in it.
I have been investigating electronic methods of keeping batteries young too. Batteries get old because the lead sulfate crystallizes on the plates and doesn't go back into solution. "Desulfator" circuits apply extremely short duration (nano- or micro-seconds) pulses of up to fifty volts at a high frequency. The buzzing dissolves the sulfates off the plates and back into solution.
We should start another thread, about battery maintenance.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”