1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Magnet testing Stainless steel.

Post by partshunt »

Hi all: has anyone come to a conclusion on testing original stainless panhead rocker covers with a magnet? Mid fiftys covers. I have one that is stainless and does not attract a magnet at all. the other does attract very well. It looks stainles and I wonder if some Harley or possibly aftermarket covers had pure steel mix with stainless. I have seen stainless atract a magnet in a rather weak way such as the trumpet hoen cover but none as firmly as this one rocker cover. Any results you can share would be apreciated..I realize 1948 were chromed steel.not stainless at all. .....Thanks..Joe
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Magnet testing Stainless steel.

Post by awander »

According to the Stainless Steel Information Center at:
http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html#5
5. Is stainless steel magnetic?
Answer: There are several "types" of stainless steel. The 300 series (which contains nickel) is NOT magnetic. The 400 series (which just contains chromium and no nickel) ARE magnetic.

and from "corrosionist at:
http://www.corrosionist.com/magnetic_re ... _steel.htm
WHICH METALS ARE MAGNETIC?
All stainless steels with the exception of the austenitic grades are also magnetic – all ferritic grades (eg 430, AtlasCR12, 444, F20S), all duplex grades (eg 2205, 2304, 2101, 2507), all martensitic grades (eg 431, 416, 420, 440C) and all precipitation hardening grades (eg 630/17-4PH). Even although the duplex grades are mixtures of austenite and ferrite they are still strongly attracted to a magnet.

WHICH METALS ARE NON-MAGNETIC?
Austenitic stainless steels, both the common 300-series (Cr-Ni) and the lower nickel 200-series (Cr-Mn-Ni) are non-magnetic. It is common for wrought austenitic stainless steels to contain a very small amount of ferrite, but this is not sufficient to significantly affect magnetic performance except in very critical applications.
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Re: Magnet testing Stainless steel.

Post by partshunt »

Thank you for all that hi tech stuff there. Apreciated lots. I wonder which two variations Harley used in the fiftys when they punched out the rocker covers? As mentioned I have two stainless covers, one is non magnetic the other is magnetic. Maybe one is early fiftys, the other mid fifty, They went to alum in 55 I think. So mine musta been punched out between 1949 and 54? Was last ones magnetic?...Thank...Joe

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”