Hot running Pan

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Danl

Hot running Pan

Post by Danl »

Well, took the '54 "morph" out for it's best run around town... and that may be part of my problem here. "Thanks" to everyone for all the advice on a whole bunch of things. Settin' the timing w/cig papers, Super E settings, generator issues, voltage readings, etc. But, now there's something else so I thought I'd start a new "thread".
'54 Pan, big oil bag, 50w oil, no outer oil cooler, fresh motor (maybe 300 miles)... running hot after 1/2 hour around town at 90 deg air temp. 200 degs oil temp. (I know this "in town" stuff and the fresh motor are part of the problem, but I gotta run around town, too ya know). I'm pretty sure the carb is where I need it... even idle, "snap" on accel, smooth thru all the stages, no intake leaks. Any suggestions?
panomania
Inactive member

Re: Hot running Pan

Post by panomania »

on a hot day, mine will also run about 200. it always has even with 2 engines. this motor now has about 7000 miles on it and still running fine. i quit sweat'n it.
good luck
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Cigarette papers?

Maybe your timing is a bit advanced,
but I still gotta ask: Just how are you so sure you have no intake leak?.
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Post by 2dogs »

Cotton: Cigarette papers: I once heard something about using the cellophane from a cigarette package as a points gauge. Maybe that's what he means.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Yeah, gotta be the points. I used to do this on a CZ 400 that I used to terrorize the woods with. Damn thing kept destroying silencers, but it sure would make your hair stand up when you wanted it to !!!!!!! It would try to throw you over the bars when you tried to kick start it too.... Fun shit.......................
Danl

Post by Danl »

Yeah. Was looking for tips on setting static timing w/out a light and found a guy on a HD tech page who used a cig paper to show when the points just started to open... Find timing mark on flywheel (just before "center"), put paper between the points, rotate dist plate to where the paper just falls out, basically. Seemed to work, too! Fires on first kick, no stammer, no stall, runs thru all the rpm smooth. I was thinking it might be too advanced, too Cotten. So I retarded it just a hair. Checked plugs and they're still "cool" enough... no white out, jus good golden brown. Super E secondary is backed off just a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to keep it rich enough. I dunno, it was the first "trouble free" ride I've had on this new motor... all except for this frying pan thing. I'm takin it easy and lettin' her cool down in between. We'll be out for more "hot" de-bugging this wknd. Going to 60w, I think. Any other ideas? Thanks for the input, guys
Danl

Post by Danl »

Oh yeah, on the "no intake leaks". Haven't made the intake leaks tester, yet. So, "no", i'm not for certain. But I have no rpm change/movement at idle. It goes right to where I set it. No uneven, anything when it comes to that. Everything sits right where I set it... and the plugs look good - rear is just a hair "richer", but she's always been like that, and never fried a piston in the years we been together...?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Danl!

No two Evil Manifold leaks act the same,... except those which keep the motor from running at all.
Danl

Post by Danl »

Cotten. True, true. Which post "title" was that piece under, on just how to make that intake leak tester?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Danl!

You only need a big cork or rubber stopper, a regulator and some soap suds..

But more clues are at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

...Good luck,

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”