All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Getting paint off cases

Post by hplhd »

i pulled the motor out of my bike for a little cleaning up and paint. the previous owner painted the cases flat black. the motor is all together except carb and gennie so no bead blasting. how do you guys go about tackling such a project. thanks in advance
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Getting paint off cases

Post by mbskeam »

I have used Jasco paint stripper, used a small brush in the tight areas, and a bigger brush on the open places to apply stripper.
but I did this in the bike, put plastic on the frame and areas I did not want to kill the paint on,
then used a ST.ST wire brush to strip the goop off, it worked real well, and on the tight spots I used a die grinder with a ST ST wire brush attachment.
since your engine is out it will make clean up much easier.

mbskeam

as a note: don't put clear coat on your cases, it wont look good in a few years...... Wink
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

mike, where did you pick up the jasco(bet you thought i was gonna say stripper) and with out sounding stupid, what is a st wheel.
by the way the engine is sitting on one of your stands. fucking thing works great for a lot less money than anywhere else i looked.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

well...... the Jasco is just a name brand that most of the hardware stores sell in the NW. you just have to take a trip to the hardware store and see whats in your local area, I looked for one that you could neutralize with water.
and ST. ST.= stainless steel
a welding supply place would have these, they are used to clean up the discoloration on finish side of ST.ST. parts after welding.
if you cant find stainless, steel brushes should be okay, just posting what I used
glad the stand is working for you....

mbskeam
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

Guys
I have never stripped paint off or buffed of aluminum engine cases, but have stripped paint & buffed a lot of other aluminum parts.
Don't use carbon steel wire brushes on either aluminum or stainless parts because it will leave carbon steel impregnated on the surface. The part will look great at first, but will start to show rust on the surface. Use fine stainless steel wire brushes as the coarse ones could grove the softer aluminum. Even with the fine wire wheel, be careful as they can score the aluminum.
For irregular shaped parts, I use a emery flapper wheel with a die grinder. I cut the flapper wheel into thin strips so that it will get into the valleys of the part. These are a lot easier on aluminum and leave a satin finish.
I posted some pictures of some flapper wheels that I use over in the miscellaneous pictures section of the gallery. These are 4" x 1-1/2", 80 grit, but many other sizes and grits are readily available. A finer grit would be better to finish with.

Red
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I shelved most of my wire brushes in favor of abrasive-impregnated nylon brushes, marketed under names like 'Adalox" and 'Nylox'.
They do not burnish, tear, or impregnate the surface. They last indefinitely, and they are much cleaner and safer to use.
...Cotten
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

Cotten is right about the abrasive nylon wheels, they are a better way to go than wire wheels. Never have used them on aluminum, but have used them on steel & stainless. Last a long, long time & they polish the hell out of stainless.

Red
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

well,
I did not put this above, but a "hand wire brush", small like a tooth brush. this will get 98% of the goop that is being striped off and then a small wire cone die set up for the small tight places, like around the oil pump and lifter blocks....etc.
tape off around the cyl bases with duct tape and any other parts you don't want striped
this stuff should come off real easy....

DON'T FORGET YOUR EYE PROTECTION WITH THIS STUFF....
even when doing the hand brush thing.

mbskeam

Post by Guest »

Hey Mbskeam...
Look I know this wasn't the thread subject and I've posted thid message to 'ya in two of your posts... hoping you'd read at least one of them..... wanted to let you know I posted some pics of my '50 Pan on the Gallery. Was at my buddies' shop today, Sunday New Year's day, nursing a mild hangover and just talking HD's. His name is Gene Covert and he owns and wrench's at Bad As Choppers now in the Preston, Washington industrial park just off I-90, I think it's exit 22. He's riding a '48 Pan but bumped to 93ci by way of Delkron cases but still sits in a reinforced '48 stock wishbone. He does great motor work but is really a man of all specialties when it comes to motorcycles....he won't touch anything not HD, however! Anyway...got to talking summer '06...man, this should be a great year.....gonna' welcome you down here to the Fall City area and run out with us to CowGirl, Inc. where biker meets cowboy for some fun akin to Coyote Ugly ...where the girls get up, dance on the bar and turn their backs on the cowboys when the bikers show up! More just mind fantasy now...but the summer will arrive and will be 'tis the season to "pimp the Pans" once again....Can you just see it! Have a good New Year Bro...catch 'ya in the wind....
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

And don't forget hand protection, be safe.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. i am trying two diff strippers on my tins ,then will see about the cases.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”