Fogger: fire up the old panhead after sitting awhile

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Termite
Inactive member

Fogger: fire up the old panhead after sitting awhile

Post by Termite »

Holy Cow, Here's the skinny. Thought i would fire up the old panhead, and its been sitting awhile. Charged the battery changed the oil and gas. When it started it blew out the family of mice and feed storage, and the bike died. I forgot to turn on the gas.
I start the bike again. And out comes the blue smoke. At idle its noticeable, crank it up and i have a good yard fogger.
Is it just the valves? Carb? I tinkered with the carb but to no avail. What do you guys recommend?

Gone fishing!!! Smile
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Fogger: fire up the old panhead after sitting awhile

Post by Cotten »

Sounds like a common sumpmonster. No biggee.

First thing to do is put the carb setting back where it was.

Second: clean up some replacement sparkplugs.

If you have a non-stock colony mainshaft seal (necessary for a non-stock beltdrive), then it may be several miles before the motor has evacuated the sump, and oil is no longer thrown up heavily on the rings.

Next time, drain your oiltank if you are going to let the machine sit idle for more than a few weeks.
Termite
Inactive member

Post by Termite »

As far as to where the carb was set at i'm not sure i just went by the book. I turned the slow and fast idle in till it stopped. Backed the fast idle out 5 turns and slow 2 turns. And made my adjustments from there. Till the motor sounded right.

So i should just ride the bike till it clears out?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Your only real alternative would be to disconnect the feedline at the pump, and let it drain for a day or three, or more. But there will still be a big puddle in the bottom of the crankcase.
(Attempting to use the drainplug at the bottom of the left case usually results in stripped threads, as the frame is nearly always in the way.)

If you topped off your tank before you started it, you will probably find it is over-filled now.
Termite
Inactive member

Post by Termite »

Thanks Cotten, i'm going to give it a test run tomorrow!!!
Termite
Inactive member

Post by Termite »

Here's a question i have. I pulled off the primary cover to give it a lookover and i have a transmission leak coming out where the clutch plates are. Not Good. Is this just the small seal or the big tranny seal. I haven't pulled off the hub yet. I ordered a new primary cover and am putting the old one in storage.

Instead of having to buy seal installer and remover. Does anyone have a special trick that he uses to install seal?

Thanks.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

If it is coming through the mainshaft, you need not pull the hub, just the tall left-hand nut that secures it.

Within the nut, originals had washers, a spring, and a cork seal, all held in with a snap ring. Modern updates are modern lipped seals to replace all of that. Easily pressed in with an appropriate socket for a driver, you can even get two in if you have a worn area upon the shaft.
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago with oil coming out the center of the clutch. Turns out the seal that Cotten mentioned wasn't even there. Old harley book shows the cork with the spring and snap ring, Clymers shows the rubber seal. I just popped a rubber seal into the center of the nut that holds the main shaft and that did it for me.

jester-

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”