Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Export bikes: different setup

Post by 64duo »

Got me wondering question:
Would you expect exported bikes to be setup for use in the destination country? Example, would handlebar switches be set different on European bikes vs American market bikes. Since we drive on different sides of the road? I'm looking at a set of 2 piece handlebars and there are switch holes 2 on the right only 1 on the left. The bars are from Euope. Any reason that would be? Thanks 64duo
sleeper

Re: Export bikes: different setup

Post by sleeper »

I would say yes, but the new ones (I know for sure) that have been 'imported' back to US, to meet demand do have milder cams, jetted leaner & run crappier. (emissions are stricter out of the US). Plus the speed-0 read in kilometers. Costs owners a bunch $$$ just to have them run equally as US 'stock' bikes. (I'm ok w/that). ;D
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Since we drive on different sides of the road?
Do you drive on the left side?
Minor differences to comply with local law have always been there, even special (cheaper) models.
emissions are stricter out of the US
I doubt that. Taxes are higher.
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

As far as I know, or at least all of the countries I've been in over here in Europe....England is the only one that drives on the left and their models are no different. I've even been to Japan and their models are the same as the U.S. also.....so I have no idea why anything would be different on your bars.
As far as emmissions......I agree with Panhead......the cars and bikes I've driven or rode here are a lot better than the States powerwise and the new cars I've driven don't have a speed limiter. Hell, I have a VW 4 cylinder 1.9 turbo diesel work van that'll go 115mph all day.......it'd go faster but it hits the rev limiter....The bikes I've imported (new pre-injection & old) have never personally given me any grief to where I had to change or adjust anything. They all run fine.........
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Quote: Got me wondering question:
Since we drive on different sides of the road? Thanks 64duo

Wow, I gotta get out more, I didn't realize that only England had drivers on the left side of the road. My apologies. Well if the setup isnt different, I'll assume there is another reason for the differences on the bars and work it from another angle. Thanks 64duo.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Well Panhead & Kurt, (just curious) I wonder then why since (at least) the year 2000, according to my 2000 manual, the HDI international-HD's are required to have catalytic converters on them. From the factory very possibly prior to 2000, too..(have to check).
California included (of course) We don't have that mandate in the US, (maybe for 2007 ? )
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Billy, if you re-read what I wrote, I stated pre-injection bikes. You're right however on the injection models with a cat......the sound is very muffled and the first time I heard a Harley with cats was a sad day indeed. I've never seen a converter on a pre-injection model.
I do know they have some stiff anti-tampering laws in effect here, but in Holland, they haven't started doing motorcycle inspections yet like they do to autos......but knowing their tax system here....it'll happen soon......especially if they "can take".....I mean "make" more money.

Kurt
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

well it's nice to know that we are not the only ones to get in in the tailpipe....... :-X :o :o :o :o :o :'( from the AUTHORITY'S

mbskeam
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Yes I read it Kurt, 2 times. I agree 'cats' sound & perform less than no cats.
Gearing is taller on the FLT HDI's (sprocket & clutch)
Now looking in my 2001 HD & HDI Manual, it states: California carbed, & ALL HDI Motorcycles are equipped with cats.
Which covers detailed info for the 2001 carbs..
So it would 'seem' carbed have cats too ? According to this Manual (at least). But I have never seen any myself either..

(This is printed on the cover)
2001 HD FLT Models Official Factory Manual
FLT Fahrerhandbuch
FLT Manuel DU Proprie'tarie
FLT Manual Del Propietario
FLT Manuale D'Lstruzioni Del Proprietario
FLT Manual Do Usua'rio

(my apologies if I mangled any wording) :-/
& I agree Mbskeam, least we're not alone on that..

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”