A Future V-Twin Motor Customer Has Questions:

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VT

A Future V-Twin Motor Customer Has Questions:

Post by VT »

SK asked me for direction. I'm posting this so everyone can read the situation and add any positive suggestion(s). The repop build market has a gap between the manufacturer that produces the motors and the end user. There is no "middleman of rationale" for anyone to turn to at present for the motors and 4-spd transmissions, although http://aaok.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to be headed towards filling the job description for OHV customers out West.
In reality true replica 3.5 gallon gas tanks coming on line and they are going to be affordable.

So, here is my guide for buying a long or short block replica Pan motor:

Question:
....How ready are the cases? How ready is the short block: quality?? Any help you can give me i would appreciate it: Also best place to buy said motors:/cases: Thanks again for the books:
Answer: If you buy a 74 cu. in. replica Pan motor congratulations :!: We'll follow your purchase from crate to the open road, if you keep us informed. Please take a pic of the motor sitting still secured in the crate. We should all know how they "ship" from the warehouse.
We need more test-riders here. Another heading called Rolling Repop
One suggestion is to first buy another cam cover gasket, and when your motor arrives, bolt it to a bench stand or custom welded 4 ft. "derrick" stand. Put a strip of blue tape on the end of a 9/16" screwdriver (so you don't gall the slotted cam cover screw heads) and use the information in Vol. 2 to remove the cam cover. Watch out for falling C.B. and Idler spacers :!:
Read, to measure the cam's end play and check for generator free-play.
You can deduce something about the mechanic that built the motor, by the time you get to the breather gear. Generally, if the mechanic did a poor job on the inside, he did a poor job on the cam chest. Reasoning that rarely would someone start out as a poor mechanic and then miraculously change to a good mechanic before the motor is finished.
2. Buy an oil pump gasket kit w/ a new drive gear retaining ring. Pull the pinion gear and free-spin the oil pump. If you can't turn the oil pump drive gear with your thumb or easily with the tip of a small screwdriver, then there's gear bind within the pump and you'll need to remove the pump to see, if re-installing it will allow the gears to unbind and free-spin as illustrated.
Bottom Line: If the oil pump drive gear "free-spins" as it should, then the mechanic did a good job of installing the pump. This would be a "good sign".
3. You can go to http://www.v-twincycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on the "Find A Dealer" and enter your zip code. If your buying $300. free freight orders, they may give you a small discount, though the profit margins on these parts are not much to begin with.
I wonder if removing the lifter blocks would be less invasive....
Sure. And imo, you want to see the gear teeth, and pull the cam, to see what you can of everything under the cover. Measure the C.B. and Idler spacer width's. Both spacers should be the same.
Do short blocks come with hydraulic valves? Probably. Do you want soilds? Then you need to install JIMS and use S&S push rods, imo. Check the article out over on "Repop"> Solid Lifter Options Reviewed. All laid out for you. Parts numbers, options, the works.

I was looking at those V-Twin short blocks and they have 1941 to 1965 74 in. motors w/ empty tappet blocks, giving you the option of solid or hydraulic. That's pretty good.
Last edited by VT on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: A Future V-Twin Motor Customer Has Questions:

Post by Panacea »

I wonder if removeing the lifter blocks would be less invasive....
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I have built 2 engines in the last 3 years on V-Twin "shop ready" cases-1 straight roller style and 1 timken style.My impressions of these cases were as follows; The external finish is very well done,the internal finish is equally good,no one who knows anything about the subject will ever mistake these for OEM cases.Now here to me was the big surprise-the bearing race fit and alignment were flawless!!! I assumed I would have to line lap the mains,tap all the holes,deburr edges and all the other usual aftermarket parts crap-not so,I checked all those things and found nothing.This has happened twice now.I have dealt with Ted since the days when he was selling used Indian parts and this is the FIRST time anything like this has happened.I would definitely reccomend these cases.By the way both sets I purchased were made by STD-NOT in Taiwan.
VT

Post by VT »

Now here to me was the big surprise-the bearing race fit and alignment were flawless!!! I assumed I would have to line lap the mains, tap all the holes, deburr edges and all the other usual aftermarket parts crap-not so,I checked all those things and found nothing.
In the old days (1998) STD cases did not have the oil galley holes de-burred. The interior finish was not as you describe today.
The repop parts are getting better as time goes on. The repop mfgr. wheels turn slowly towards perfection, not immediately as with big business. Good to hear.

Cryil Huze will be reporting from the floor of the CinciExpo this weekend. If V-Twin has a set of the new 3.5 tanks on display we should hear about it.
steinauge
Inactive member

Post by steinauge »

VT you sure got that right! I remember when STD cases were a new thing in IIRC the mid 70s. We ordered a set for a customer and when they got there the cylinder holes were about 1\2" off center!!! scarber& trachtenberg DID make good on that as well as on the many problems that followed over the next few years.
VT

Post by VT »

We ordered a set for a customer
What year did you order the cases? I think anything further back than 2003 is yesteryear. (Note: In repop years, use the same dog year math "year x 7"). That they made good on them is testament to our Knuckle-Pan society.
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Post by bbhf »

i checked tedds catalog {2008} and it does not say STD cases for the shop ready cases: how can you tell what you will get? can you ask for them: how about the Pan short block? any good?? are S&S cases as good as STD? thanks, bbhf
VT

Post by VT »

The Motor Shop Ready short blocks and motors are STD with USA and Taiwan internals. Assembled in either NY or K.C.
No one has ever reported putting one on the street. There is no data, though we could assume that they have sold a few over the last 5 yrs.
Which is better STD or S&S? I believe that:
* The STD and Shop Ready motors are available in tapered or (Timken) spline shaft.
* The S&S motors are available in (Timken) spline shaft and '54-64, 4-rib cam cover (with socket head cam cover screws) only.

If you going big inch, I'd say S&S.
If you want slot-head cam cover screws, 8 and 4 ribbed cam covers, and a choice of tapered or spline shaft cases, I'd say STD ( same as Shop Ready) motors.
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Post by bbhf »

Thanks: i am considering the the short block: if i go that way i will post to let you know: bbhf
steinauge
Inactive member

Post by steinauge »

Both sets of cases I bought had a tag on them indicating where they were made.For the sake of clarity I bought cases only NOT a short block.
VT

Post by VT »

The Shop Ready short block and complete motors (with relay mounts) use STD cases.
V-Twin doesn't make their own cases. The also sell (complete) motors using S&S cases.

I'd like to see a V-Twin motor on the road. It's like a black hole of Panheads. People buy V-Twin motors and build machines and are never heard from again. I have never seen or heard of anyone who actually rides a V-Twin powered Panhead with a relay crankcase and manual timer - but we'd all like to. So, to that end, now that the new 3.5 gallon tanks are under construction - the V-Twin® replica relay case Panhead motor is my next focus.
Still waiting for a running VT Pan to show up on U-tube.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”