All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Bruce Palmer's book

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Well, after having been referred to the "bible" many times thus far, I ordered from motorcyclebooks.com as recommended on this forum (I can also recommend them - cheap, fast, good communication).
The book arrived yesterday, and I eagerly began reading...only to begin developing a distinctly uneasy feeling after a few pages. Yes, the book is an excellent reference, and yes it does exactly what it sets out to do - discuss restoration. But I realised that this is not where I'm at with my bike.
Whilst I wouldn't hack up a standard frame given there are cheap aftermarket frames to hack at, the quest for having every nut and bolt on my bike bogstock standard just does not appeal. I'll go standard where standard does the job and looks good, but I'm afraid that beyond that I part ways with Mr Palmer and his excellent book.
I'll post some "before" pictures of my custom (it ain't a chopper) shortly.

Cheers,

S.
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Bruce Palmer's book

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi suicide, like the holy Bible, everything is supposed to be in, after it's up to you ;)
Seriously, when it comes to talk about "what's a Pan" you need references otherwise you will don't know why on your 56 there was inside oiling and then outside in 63; it is the same for everything, many things and improvement have been made with years, you need to know that when you're on custom project seeking for parts. Is it interesting for us to go back with "cp screws"; i don't know; but for the one who want an accurate Pan it can be helpful; sooo, i would just say: read it and do what you want; but don't throw it away: it's our holy bible
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Palmer's book goes a long way to define "correct". "Correct" is very important to those who want to preserve their investment.
I preach "correct",.. but I don't practice it (The pics of Sugar in the "Name that Beast" thread prove that.)
"Correct" is important to those who wish to preserve motorcycles. But you do not preserve motorcycling by preserving motorcycles. You do that by destroying motorcycles, mile by mile by mile.
Personalizing your machine is part of motorcycling, just as it is part of destroying motorcycles! But resorting to bolt-on cookie-cutter custom catalog crap is no better than embalming a good machine in a museum-quality restoration. You gotta get your hands dirty, and show it no mercy.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

suicideshovel65,
Bruces book is the dogs balls for finding that friggin bolt that you just cant seem to fit etc.....but..and blow me down with a feather if Cotten aint right....the Pan is yours ...make it your own.... screw everybody else. Put on it and in it what you want. after all it's for riding and staring at in your garage.... its your own baby. Haggis

Click here for the Bruce Palmer book on Amazon

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”