All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Best cleaner ever

Post by panfreak »

Author: panfreak

I was at a guys house last night who is really into restoring old cars. He was admiring the pan and asked what I used to clean the oil. I said usually I just wipe it with a rag and he told me he had to show me something. he comes out of the shop with a spray can of this stuff called SLAPSHOT INDUSTRIAL DEGREASER made by Walters. Has a fine directional spray sorta like WD40. He asked where was a hard to reach area so I showed him behind my inner where the rear chain throws oil on my tranny shift lever and clutch rod. He sprays this stuff all in there and it seemed to eat the oil and evaporate away to nothing leaving behind a dry, residue free and CLEAN area. Doesn't attack paint (so it says) powder coat or aluminum and leaves it spotless clean with NO WIPING. I am totally amazed. Spray it on the oil and it just soaks it up and disappears. I know this sounds bizarre, but you gotta see it work!
You have to try it, I swear to God it is the best stuff I have ever seen, I can't wait until the auto supply store opens today. It comes in a white and orange spray can about the size of paint.
Thank you Lord, my fanatical cleaning prayers have been answered.

Post by mbskeam on Aug 18, 2006, 3:25am

I use, Gunk foamy engine brite, or the degreaser
get bike wet, then spray engine and tranny, rims...etc let sit a few min. then hose off. comes out real clean.
then wash like normal.

panfreak .......
you going to the gastown bike show, in Vancouver on the 20th

mbskeam

Post by billy on Aug 18, 2006, 7:25am

I use "Purple Stuff" brand name degreaser,
but w/caution as full strength, it can dull a paint job quickly..
But this SLAPSHOT INDUSTRIAL DEGREASER I'm gonna have to try..

Thanks man.. never say no to an easier way..

Post by cotten on Aug 18, 2006, 1:54pm

I'll have to go to the Big City to look for "Slapshot".
Meanwhile a squirtbottle of mineral spirits in one hand, and compressed air in the other is just part of my usual inspection process.
It's gotta be cheaper than any aerosol, particularly when working with vintage grunge, over the entire machine.
(When using a large piece of cardboard under the bike to catch the mess, it makes for a weird "Shroud of Turin" image!)

...Cotten

Post by panfreak on Aug 18, 2006, 5:16pm

HAHAHA!!! That shroud of turin made me laugh out loud!!

Mike,
I already thought of that but I'm busy on Sunday. I hate Vancouver anyway.... but I was thinking the oyster run would be a blast. I haven't made arrangements for a room and I heard that can be insane as the town is booked solid. Sometimes I just deal with these things come bed time, I'm not opposed to sleeping on the ground but having never been to this run before are there campsites around there?
Len.

Post by billy on Aug 19, 2006, 3:03am

Cotten-

You may consider selling those "Shrouds of Turin" on ebay.
I saw a chunk of toast bring a lot of $$$$$$$$

Post by caschnd1 on Aug 23, 2006, 5:06am

HOLY COW! Ok.. I'm sold. I picked up some SlapShot and it behaves pretty much as Panfreak described. I did do a little wiping because it left a slight haze on the chrome parts. But that's a heck of a lot easier then trying to dig between the primary tin and the transmission to clean things. Shot it in there and blasted all the crap out... dripped out under the bike and as the liquid quickly dried it left a pile of sticky goo behind (all the oil and grease that I'd blown off the bike.
Thanks for the tip Panfreak! I think I'll go get a quality painters canvas and throw it under the bike and see if I can create an eBay masterpiece! ;D

-Craig

Post by panfreak on Aug 23, 2006, 3:51pm

Now you see what I mean? I love this stuff! Spread the word.

Post by moose02fb on Aug 27, 2006, 1:34am

Where do you find the stuff I looked at a few auto stores in jersey and could not find any

Moose

Post by kickit on Sept 2, 2006, 9:30pm

Panfreak, can you supply more info about the Walters company? maybe a web site.
I looked in several places and nada and when I google it, most info leans to Hockey related info.

Post by mtnspan on Sept 2, 2006, 10:27pm

Kickit, try this. http://www.etox.com/Walter/Slap%20Shot.htm

Post by kickit on Sept 3, 2006, 10:49am

Many Thanks, mtnspan

Post by panfreak on Sept 17, 2006, 5:05am

For all us Canucks, it's available through ACKLANDS for 8 bucks give or take a few pennies.
I was doing some work at a friends shop the other day, he showed me what he uses... BRAKLEEN. I was a little worried about the harshness (he claimed it would be fine?) so I stayed away from paint, but it did do a good job on frame, primary etc. Anyone try this stuff?

BTW, I'm sticking to SLAPSHOT.

Post by sidecar on Sept 21, 2006, 1:37pm

According to the manufacturer. Slapshot Industrial Cleaner is not safe for rubber & plastic.
Manufacturer recommends Slap Shot PL for plastics and rubber and all metals.
You may want to be careful which one you use and what you spray it on.
BTW. You can also get both in liquid form and put it in your own pressurized spray can, if ya like.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Best cleaner ever

Post by 58flh »

everything I read ,& used over the years. However just know I have tried something new! The stuff is called (Pro-Force)-grill cleaner.It comes in srray bottles & half gallon refills. It will harm paint!, however I used it on the jugs heads chrome,alum. I was amazed,just spray use a nylon scrubby or brush then hose-off! GREAT-JOB! as you guys know i live on the east-coast,N.J.--so I found the stuff in a place called B.J.s.& cost co. has it too. oh yea I used it on some powdercoat ,no problems! keep it upright! later 58flh

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”