All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Ah the first ride to work

Post by Pantony »

I don't know about you guys but amongst the non antique crowd, as people look and complement me on my bike I always tell the truth about my bike driving habits and my favorite is to bring up that I drive it to work. Thats the point when the jaws drop and they say something like " you , you , don't really;;; I mean you don't ACTUALLY drive that to work <long pause> Do you"? So in the 48 degree pre-dawn semi-darkness of 5:15am when I kicked it over (only took two) and as I rode happily off to work for this years first ride to work I wondered about all you guys and if you guys do that to and what sort of reaction you get when you tell that to people. This enjoyment had rubbed off on me by a friend of mine that has a 51FL, all restored and in a managerial position, but also the main thrust to steer me to keep my bike as stock and built original as possable. When people remark about his 51 I have more than once heard a co-worker of his refer to his bike as "oh ya, thats his daily driver", I think I got the bug right then and there. How about you guys?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Ah the first ride to work

Post by caschnd1 »

My panhead has been my daily driver since May 2004. I don't have a car so if I go to work it's on the panhead. I do have a newer Evo. Since I built the pan I've put ~500 miles on the Evo in 3 years. For me, riding is a year round endeavor. Summer is actually more difficult then the winter because of the extreme heat. Winters here are mild (coldest mornings in the low 20's). The pan hasn't failed to get me to work one time in the 3 years. Starts easy, never complains. Took the day off on Monday and put 200 miles on the bike riding in the mountains east of Phoenix. At this point I've put ~30K miles on it since the build. About to put on my 4th set of tires.
I don't think the folks I work with would be too impressed that I ride an antique to work every day. Old bikes just aren't their bag so they don't have much interest. Fine by me. There are a few guys who ride that have stopped me in the parking lot and asked questions. But most wouldn't know a panhead from a TC88.

A couple of shots from my ride in the mountains on Monday:

-Craig
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I'll confess that after buying a 2000 FLSTC 3 years ago I've allowed my 64 to sit with little time or money invested. If it matters, during these 750 working days (250 ea. approximately) I've road the new bike about 75 to 85 percent.
Some of the reason is a bad back/shoulders and migraines (kickstarting), some of the reason is newer technology (disc brakes, electric start, smooth running carb, foot shift) for defensive driving against very stupid and much increased Kansas City commuter traffic, and some of the reason is laziness (less time for maintenance, etc.) and being a family man with a 10 year old boy and trying to have another one.
I keep saying that if I make it to Davenport I'll recatch the fever so bad the above excuses won't matter. I do like what you guys have shared and hope to hear more from the group.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

Side note Craig; I did adjust the front brake tighter, I have diffrent problems that aren't other drivers, they are critters, I am constanly looking out for coons, and especially coyote's and an occasional venison to dodge on the way to work. Then there are all the dam turkeys. No I don't mean the ones driving cars I mean the the real ones. Them things will appear out of no-where in flight right at eye level. I am constantly becoming aware of my brakes stopping power or the lack of it.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Yeah... we get the coyotes around here (once you get on the out skirts of town), but here my biggest challenge is the other drivers. Luckily my work hours are offset from the peak of the rush hour by about 2 hours on each end.

-Craig
woody
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by woody »

Yeah I ride my '65 to work unless it is raining. Then it's my old pickup. When I got it last August it didn't have the electric start. It had an aftermarket horshoe oil bag. I have since remedied that situation, even found the correct primary inner and outer since the inner that was on the bike was completely eaten through where the starter mounts. But in the morning when it's cold I still have to kick it. (60 wt oil). Since I have gotten the Pan going my twinkie Road King has been gathering dust.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Woody,

I can relate to the rain thing, but in my case I have to deal with rain so infrequently that it's not much bother. I actually went 18 months once without getting rained on. But then this winter (when we get most of our rain) I got rained on 5 or 6 times. Those are the days I miss the front fender. I end up riding hanging off the left side of the bike to avoid the rooster tail of water thats coming off the front tire. ;D

-Craig
jed

Post by jed »

I'm kinda fortunate to live only 10 minutes from work so I ride almost every day. I park under a special motorcycle pavillion close to the entrance (a union negotiated ammenity) that even has motion sensitive lighting at night. Most of the guys recognize my parking space in the corner near the trash can by the oil spot(s) and will usually avoid soiling their Dunlops there. Other than mine and my buddy's 1975 Shovelhead bagger, all others are....usually about 30 bikes during the regular riding season.....are newer Ultra Glide Classics and a couple of FatBoys. Mine was the only bike parked there for many days in Feburary and March. We are an anachronism in the age of plastics and push button starters. Old Iron Rules!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”