1948 Panhead (how do you crank this beast)

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panomania
Inactive member

1948 Panhead (how do you crank this beast)

Post by panomania »

I have just finished building my 48 model, and it is hell to crank. The motor has s&s bottom (stock bore 80 inch, stroker kit). A andrews "A" grind camshaft and a s&s shorty e carb. I only have about 30 miles on the motor and I havent figured out the cranking sequence. This is my first bike with kick start only. Any help would be appreciated. I have re-adjusted my pushrods and have good compression in both cylinders. I have noticed gas leaking around my front intake port ( a old weld, not the intake seals) when i really shoot the gas to it... After I get it started, I can spray wd-40 around the intake with no noticeable idle change or stumble. It doesnt run or sound like it has a intake leak but the front plug is running noticably cleaner than the rear. When the bike is hot, I can retard the dist a little, kick it once or twice and it will crank. If it doesnt hit within the first 3 or 4 kicks, I may have to kick about 25 more times with different dist settings to get it started. When its cold, its really hell to start. I havent found a proven method to start it. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to start this beast hot and cold. What works for you?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 1948 Panhead (how do you crank this beast)

Post by Cotten »

Uh,.. the WD-40 trick only tells you if you have a bodacious leak. Even a minor one will give you fits.
And if you have gas seeping from a weld, the chances are that if you DO get her going, you will fry something quickly. Like the whole top end.
There is only one proper way to test for intake leaks, and that is to pressure test with soap suds. It's simple, absolute, (safe!), and it tells you exactly WHERE and HOW much of a problem you have. (ANY is too much!!)
A simple set of directions is at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You only need a big cork with a hole in it that fits your manifold, and 10 psi. I use a squirtgun for the soap.
AFTER you sort out your intake leaks (Like shitcanning any stupidsuper clamps, and even o-ring conversions altogether), then I would shitcan that damn cam as well. Tell your barroom buddy who suggested it that he ain't got a clue.

Uh,. just my "humble" opinion.
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

Dont hold back, tell me how you really feel. Actually, Thanks for the info. And the Indian site is very cool. I will try the method you suggested. And by the way, It's me that doesnt have a clue, thats why Im asking.
Thanks, Panomania
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I wonder if I type in "nutscan", it will come out chitcan like I intended. About propriety, I have no clue! Sorry.
kickerdel
Bikes: *

Post by kickerdel »

Hi,dont know if it's of any use,but I had shitloads of trouble starting my '59 after a rebuild & fitting an s&s super e.I discovered that I was flooding it as soon as I was touching the throttle or choke.Hope it cranks soon,
Del
panhead5174

Post by panhead5174 »

Let you old lady kick it---at least you'll be rested up to take her for a ride
kickerdel
Bikes: *

Post by kickerdel »

Thanks Painhead 5174,
The wife says she'd rather kick you & then take the pan for a blast!!!!
HDWRENCH

Post by HDWRENCH »

I don't know what carb you are using, I'm assuming it is not stock. I like an S&S Super "B" with no accellerator pump. Try starting with a 29.5 intermediate and a 70 main. With the ignition off and the enrichner up, kick the bike over two good kicks. Retard the distributor about 1/2 an inch, turn the key on and give her a good kick. she should fire. Also, good starting is dependant on good timing and spark. This method also works with a stock linkert.
kell

Post by kell »

I used to have hell starting mine until I squoze the plug gap down to less'n 30 thousandths. Duh.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”