Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
milwaukee
Inactive member
Bikes: http://harleydavidsonwarboy.blogspot.fr/

1941 WL Documentation

Post by milwaukee »

Hi 45'ers !
i am working on documentation about the 1941 WLs ( south african defence )
and i would like to know if some of you - by chance - have any complete or incomplete , or crankcases set of this model laying around .
can you give me your VIN numbers ?
i am trying to estimate ( less or more ) how many were built , and from what number to what number .
all said about this in B.Palmer's books are too thin and need to be digged ( completed...)
i am actually - little by little - restoring one of these rare models , coming from Madagascar , and i go ahead from surprise to surprise !
i knew since the beginning these models were early supplyed with a short , then , earlyer , with a long fork .
but these last times : i also have discovered that they were also supplyed with TWO different styles frames ( maybe one early and one late )
if , by chance , i can get the higher vin number and the lower , by verifications and estimations on B.Palmer's book : i think i will be able to get a good idea on WHEN the early BECOMES late style ( Palmer says in his book how many were built .)
then : it will be easy to say " this motor goes in an EARLY frame ( with short forks ) and this one in a LATE frame ( with long forks )"
and by this way , it will be also possible to determinate the exact casting numbers ( casting-data ) of the gearbox crankcase and also the cylinders...... ;
but let's dream !
first : i need to find the lowest and the highest VIN number .i know the result will NOT be 100% perfect , but it will give a good idéa on "how-to-correctly-restore" a 41 WL....
you can answer on this thread or , if you prefer , at milwaukee.belle@free.fr .
any comment , remember or suggestion is highly welcomed !
Fran-6
sleeper

Re: 1941 WL Documentation

Post by sleeper »

Fran-6, ;D
Good to hear from you. Doing more research. You are a very thorough man.. I know you will find the answers that have been elusive for many ages...Hope you get your needed info to further your research, that will benefit all....
Billy
milwaukee
Inactive member
Bikes: http://harleydavidsonwarboy.blogspot.fr/

Re: 1941 WL Documentation

Post by milwaukee »

:-/ Okay Guys !
i have had a lot of messages about this in my mailbox ....but it seems i am not "out-of-problems"
it seems , most of the times only CIVILIAN 41 WL exists in everybody's mind , and the military version is kinda ghost .
i have seen a lot of restored bikes , all stamped 41 WL .
how can i do to know if under original condition they were - or not - military models ? ( now , they only show 15% of theyr original parts
both are stamped the same way " 41 WL "
the only thing i know is the one i own is a true military bike , and by the past ; i have seen two others coming from the same place
i keep on my researches .....maybe i will find the answers in some...........years ?

....these smileys are very fun ..... :

Fran-6

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”