Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
SweBob
Inactive member
Bikes: H-D 48FL chopper

1440 cc Panhead

Post by SweBob »

Guys!

I am a newbie to the forum and am about to buy a size 1440 cc panhead, i.e. a modified pan. For now I don't really have any more information than that, i.e. I don't know the background of the block, the cylinders, lifters etc. Do you have any tips in terms of what to look for/what to ask for in assessing the quality of the engine??

Thanks!
kell

Re: 1440 cc Panhead

Post by kell »

Was it bored, stroked, or both?
Why is there no info -- is there a good reason that the guy selling doesn't know what's inside his bike? If he doesn't have any info, then how does he know it's *exactly* 1440 cc?
Tell us as much as you can about the bike even if it's only the year and what it looks like. How much has if been modified, does it have original numbers, legit papers. And if you really can't find out anything about the bike, then describe the circumstances, where did you find this bike, what's up with the seller etc.
As for inspecting the engine, there are more expert people on this board than me.
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

Hey, I hope this gets to you in time.

If you don't know any more about it than what you have said, you should be assured that the seller *knows* that you don't know any more about it than that and might be likely to tell you it runs on blueberries if he thinks you would believe it. If you are at all seriously considering buying it you should have it looked over thoroughly by someone who does know what they are looking at. If the seller is unwilling to allow this then you don't want it anyway.

Good luck!
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

''Hey, I hope this gets to you in time.
If you don't know any more about it than what you have said, you should be assured that the seller *knows* that you don't know any more about it than that and might be likely to tell you it runs on blueberries if he thinks you would believe it. If you are at all seriously considering buying it you should have it looked over thoroughly by someone who does know what they are looking at. If the seller is unwilling to allow this then you don't want it anyway.
Good luck!''
Jonderson, my thoughts too.

Take it to a shop that can handle it and let them go over it. Be willing to pay for this service to protect your arse !!!!!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Always protect your arse!!!!--RICHIR,,The said it all take someone with you thats been in the trade minimum 30yrs.--Jjust my 2----Richie :shock:

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”