1 kick hot...20 cold

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
nh pete

1 kick hot...20 cold

Post by nh pete »

Hi everyone! I`ve got a 57 with automatic advance that just hates to start when it`s cold. Hot it will go with 1. The carb is a Super E. Points are great as are the plugs (nice tan color). Runs like a top, but I feel as though I have to diall 911 after trying to cold start it (my ticker ain`t that good). Any suggestions are much appreciated.
junker

Re: 1 kick hot...20 cold

Post by junker »

check your choke and see if auto advance is sticking .it happens.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

NH,

Are you following the S&S directions for squirt ( or two ), choke, prime kick and then turn ignition on and kick again??
Also, do not touch the throttle while kicking.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I almost hate to admit this, and I'm sure I'm going to get some strong admonishment for doing it, but I sometimes have to resort to using a little starting fluid to get it fired up on cold mornings.
The last week or so it has been in the upper 30s here in West Michigan (in the mornings) and my normal starting routine just won't do it. I know that you can do some very serious damage with starting fluid so I am very stingy with it when I use it. Just unscrew the center screw from the air cleaner cover and stick the nozzle in the hole and give it just a little spritz. Put the screw back in, one more priming kick, ignition on, kick and it will fire right up.
52 Chopper

Post by 52 Chopper »

My 52 starts like a charm when cold or after it sits for a beer or 2. But stop quick to get gas, that's when it gets stubborn. I follow the S&S way of doing things with a primer kick etc..., but stop briefly, it seems all rules go out the window??? Anyone else have this problem?
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

''I almost hate to admit this, and I'm sure I'm going to get some strong admonishment for doing it, but I sometimes have to resort to using a little starting fluid to get it fired up on cold mornings.''
The last week or so it has been in the upper 30s here in West Michigan (in the mornings) and my normal starting routine just won't do it. I know that you can do some very serious damage with starting fluid so I am very stingy with it when I use it. Just unscrew the center screw from the air cleaner cover and stick the nozzle in the hole and give it just a little spritz. Put the screw back in, one more priming kick, ignition on, kick and it will fire right up.
I learned a long time ago to never use starting fluid. Always use WD-40.
You may wanna try this instead.
That starting fluid takes the oil off of everything.
''My 52 starts like a charm when cold or after it sits for a beer or 2. But stop quick to get gas, that's when it gets stubborn. I follow the S&S way of doing things with a primer kick etc..., but stop briefly, it seems all rules go out the window??? Anyone else have this problem?''
Yep.
Hot fuel/vapor lock
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

52 chopper, I've had the same problem. Lately I turn the left grip about 1/2", 1/4 open on the throttle, one notch down on the choke, and it's been firing right up. Until this past weekend, the colder weather got me. I gotta quit smoking :-/
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

'' I learned a long time ago to never use starting fluid. Always use WD-40. You may wanna try this instead. That starting fluid takes the oil off of everything.''
Thanks for the tip... I will definitely give it a try.
'My 52 starts like a charm when cold or after it sits for a beer or 2. But stop quick to get gas, that's when it gets stubborn.''
Anyone else have this problem?

Yup, mine does that too. My usual procedure after I get gas is to give it a couple of squirts on the throttle (Keihin butterfly carb), 3 priming kicks, ignition on and kick. Sometimes I'll get a chuff out of it, but if it doesn't start then I just crack the throttle and keep kicking. Sometimes it will kick 8 or 9 times without popping, sneezing or farting then the next kick it will fire right up.
One time I thought I would try something different and instead of squirting the throttle and priming it I just brought it up on the compression stroke, turned the ignition on and kicked - it fired up on one kick!!! I've never been able to repeat it.
Like you said - it seems like all rules are out the window.
nh pete

Post by nh pete »

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried all the starting procedures I found looking through old posts. Spark is nice and fat and compression is good. Maybe The advance is sticking on full, but I heard some guys can start it easy at full advance???? It`s just drivivg me nuts because once it`s going it runs beautiful and will 1 kick start when warm. Very frustrating, but it has to be something simple that I`m overlooking. I hate to bring it to a shop as I do my own wrenching.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Sidecar-
Have you tried to light a flame off any new WD-40 ???
The gov'mnt has protected us from harming ourselves. It is NON-FLAMABLE any more. Surprised Try it & see.
It used to work great!
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

''Sidecar- Have you tried to light a flame off any new WD-40 ???
The gov'mnt has protected us from harming ourselves. It is NON-FLAMABLE any more. Surprised Try it & see.''
It used to work great!
Shit. Damn gov't has to ruin everything !!!!
I haven't bought any "new" cans of WD-40 for quite some time. So much for the starting fluid part of it. It's a damn shame, I say. I'm going to have to "hide" the old stuff in case I need it and get some new cans.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

For what its worth, my hot start problems stopped after I riched up the carb (Bendix with adj. main jet). I found I had been running too lean which was probably the cause of the vapor locking and maybe the hard hot starts. The last several hot starts have been one or two kickers (no prime kick) with throttle cracked about 1/4. I'd assumed I was flooding it but it could have been the reverse.
I still have a tank-to-tank fuel transfer problem which is a real head scratcher. One time my left tank will go dry with the right full and a couple of days later the right will be way down with the left full. When i park it you can hear the gurgling as they even up and when I pull the caps the gas will move from one tank to the other so i know the line is'nt blocked. The right cap is vented left cap not. Anybody had this one?

Billy

Has the new WD-40 lost its water absorbing qualities also?? If so I'll put it in the same box as "Low-Carb Beer".

King
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I'm starting to wonder.
I had this happen to me when the timing was set too far in advance and I was using the auto advance distributor.
Have you tried to retard the timing ??
nh pete

Post by nh pete »

Hi Sidecar, my last pan had a Morris mag that I could retard, but I don`t know how tto do this with the spring unit in this auto advance. can you shed any light on how I could do this?
Thanks,
Pete
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

King-
I know you Tested your Vented cap, I remember.
But when you remove the cap, & the gas equalizes in the tankS, it has to be that vented? cap... Might be sealing off the vent when tightened down.. I'd bet..

As far as the WD-40, I'm not sure about any water absorbing differences. Just know it don't burn no-mo. ;D

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”