All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
New classic
Inactive member
Bikes: 2007 Street Glide

Building using a HD engine.

Post by New classic »

I am curious as to what i am required to have matching pre 69 to title my bike as an HD. I am thinking about buying a rebuilt 49EL engine with a valid HD title. Would i have to use a 49 frame, trans, etc to have it as a HD title or would using a custom frame make it switch to a construction title? Thank you for any help, this website rocks, I currently have a 07 street glide and i want a bike that isnt a dime a dozen, something that requires more than a regulated visit to the HD shop and just putting gas in the tank.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Building using a HD engine.

Post by john HD »

a lot depends on what state you reside in.

welcome to the forum!

john
New classic
Inactive member

Post by New classic »

Thank you for the response John HD, I was under the impression that the 49 was only linked to the title by the vin number on the engine. I also took the advice and ordered a few books you guys recommended. Im guessing i would have to look up my states DMV regulations regarding motorcycles.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

If your '49 case numbers are legitmate and un-altered, and your frame has never been assigned a number, I know of no State that would not issue a title for your original VIN.

But lately Illinois has gone schizoid upon me after eighteen years of State licensing.
So ultimately you are at the mercy of your local mini-bureaucrats and their time of month.

....Cotten
62pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 62 pan

Post by 62pan »

Here in the Peoples Republic of California, if you have a title that was issued in this state, there would be no problem licensing it. If, however you have a title from another state, the DMV will insist that the bike be inspected by the highway patrol and a frame number be assigned. It would probably still be registered as the year on the title, but the VIN will be the number that is assigned to the tag on the frame.

It is generally easier to just go ahead and buy a licensed motorcycle and make the changes you want. Also many times it winds up costing less money.
New classic
Inactive member

Post by New classic »

Is there a difference between buying a full bike with a clear title and no frame #'s vs buying a rebuilt engine with the title and just putting it in a frame with no #'s all pre 69. Im confused as to when it becomes a problem, is it when you go to get it registered?

The reason i ask is in my area i have only seen 1 panhead when we go out, much less any ones for sale. I would like to buy a rebuilt engine with title from a known business online and a frame, then peice together the bike how i want it.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Again, the posts from 63pan and Cotten are bang-on. It depends on which State you're in. But I believe that most will issue a title based solely on the serial number from the left engine casing.

By the way, it's very easy (and legal) to use a title service such as International Title Service to get a title for a bike that doesn't have one. At least for pre-1969 bikes.

steve
Perry
Bikes: 1957 FLH Hand Shift
2015 Ultra Low

Post by Perry »

62Pan,

I also live in the PRC. My Pan was last registered in Arizona and the DMV wanted to assign a frame number.

It took 6 months and several calls to the Special Processing Division in Sacramento but they finally registrered my bike using my VIN. They even assigned the correct YOM plate I was lucky enough to find.

Steve,

Good luck and stick to your guns.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

In contrast to what 62Pan stated
Here in the Peoples Republic of California, if you have a title that was issued in this state, there would be no problem licensing it. If, however you have a title from another state, the DMV will insist that the bike be inspected by the highway patrol and a frame number be assigned. It would probably still be registered as the year on the title, but the VIN will be the number that is assigned to the tag on the frame.

It is generally easier to just go ahead and buy a licensed motorcycle and make the changes you want. Also many times it winds up costing less money.
I bought by 59 from Rhode Island where it had a history of being registered. I took mine to the DMV in Oakland, CA where they have an inspection station. The DMV person asked me where the VIN number on the frame was and I told him that this year was stamped on the motor only. He went ahead and registerd my bike just from the motor. Go to a DMV where they have an inspection station also. The DMV folks aren't too educated on this and just need a number for their form.

I also bought a 56 plate that was refurbished and a 59 registration sticker and sent both of them to the DMV Sacramento to be inspected. I then surrendered my ugly new CA plate and got the YOM desigation for my 56 plate. If you go to the the Federal/Police, you may get the dreaded blue label which will devalue your bike.

Good luck!
62pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 62 pan

Post by 62pan »

If you can find a DMV person that is willing to listen to you it is possible to get it licensed off of the case numbers. The other way to get it registered without a assigned number is to go through a title service. I just went through the registration dance with my local DMV office and the CHP on a '49 panhead that I've had in pieces (out of state title) for ten years. I am currently going through a title service to get a California title W/O having to get an assigned VIN. BTW my local DMV is an inspection station and I could not get them to register it without a trip to the Highway Patrol.

I still maintain that it is way easier and less expensive to buy a complete, registered (or at least titled) bike and build it the way you want to.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Mini bureaucrats are prone to making up their own rules.

If you have your paperwork in order, but they still want to defile and deface your original and legitimate hardware, seek out your local elected officials such as state legislators (or other officers next up for re-election), and patiently and politely explain that not only are your rights at stake, but piece of history itself.
Type up copies of your 'plaint ahead of time and leave one on every desk that processes you.

If your hardware has any valid questionability at all, take whatever they offer, or don't even pursue it at all.

I am only portraying someone who has faith in the system, but you must try.

....Cotten

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”