What do you use to wash your Panhead ?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

What do you use to wash your Panhead ?

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I prefer "Simple Green".....for the motor - transmission - wheels - forks - tires and chain cover area......i buy it at Sam's Club for about $9.00 a gallon....i have diluted it 50/50 with water and it still works great........"With a COOL MOTOR".... i spray down the engine/tranny areas...... Then i allow a few minutes for it work and then i wash it off with a hose....i mix up some "Turtle Car" wash soap in a small plastic bowl and i use a small sponge to wash off the windshield , the fenders and gas tanks and the rims and front forks..... then i rinse that off and then i use my "Leaf Blower"... to blow the water off......Starting at the top of the windshield then gas tanks and then the fenders and motor area.....after that use some "Protect All" to remove water marks and polish the bikes chrome and painted surfaces , that "Protect All" is a great product and it's good for the Vinyl seat...and Leather also.
I'd love to hear what your using ?

Motor Cycle Mike*
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: What do you use to wash your Panhead ?

Post by john HD »

gunk, then the hose.

the shiney and painted parts gets whatever car washing soap i have laying around.

i wax it once a year usually in the fall.

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I always prefer to let my wife wash the panhead. I have no idea what kind of soap she uses but it always looks good when she's done, and she always looks good while she's doing it!

mike
Attachments
Panhead wash
Panhead wash
IMGS0019.JPG (98.57 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I use a broom.

Other people's bikes get "detailed",...
at $60/hr!

....Cotten
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Honestly? Wind. And frequently rain. Hasn't been washed in over two years, but mines' all powder coat, no paint...

-Kuda (seems when I have time to wash it, I just go riding...)
'49 panchop

Post by Guest »

I rarely really "wash" my panhead. I ride it every day. Most days when I get home I grab a clean rag and take 2 minutes just to wipe it down. Once a week or so I'll grab a spray bottle with plain water and hit it with that as I wipe it down. Stays pretty clean. Gets grundgy in the hard to reach places (between the transmission and motor, top of transmission, etc.) but I don't worry about that too much.

-Craig
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Post by joe »

I don't do a lot of washing either. But when I do I hit the greasy stuff with Dawn dishwashing soap. It cuts grease like crazy! I also hook the hose up to really warm water, it helps cut the grease.

I also found that orange cleaner (don't remember the brand name) from Lowes works great on gas stains.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

I never "wash" mine either. I run a duster over it and wipe the chrome with glass cleaner every time I get back so it never gets realy filthy. Those "Swiffer" cloths are great for rims, tires and tight areas. People ask me how I keep it so clean , and honestly, I tell them it helps alot if you dont get it dirty! A little effort to avoid dirty conditions goes a long way to help keep it clean. I admit I'm a "fair weather" rider which helps a lot and my "48 has no leaks so I rarely deal with greasy spots but I do average about 100 miles a week in the summer .
junker

Post by junker »

When I get caught in a heavy rain shower.the dirt seems to keep the gravel off my road from scratching it as much.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Re: My Clean Machine

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Shes all Clean and Ready To Go.

No wonder why folks think its a new Harley LOL !
They are amazed when i tell them her age.

Motor Cycle Mike*[/quote]
Attachments
1956 74Cu In FLH (LG).JPG
1956 74Cu In FLH (LG).JPG (190.75 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”